change in bedding

• 11 Replies

Selkie

change in bedding
« on: November 10, 2007, 17:21 »
my hens always seem to do something different every day that makes me smile

today i changed their bedding from straw to some shredded paper:it was the first time I'd done this and  they were not sure about this new substance at all.

both hens were teetering on their 'doorstep' almost pushing each other in first  - {"you go first!" "no you go first!"}

it's starting to get dusky and cold now so eventually dora felt brave enough to go in and daisy slowly followed.

i've shut them in for the night now and it's so funny to listen to them 'grumbling' away....think i might change back to straw tomorrow :roll:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
change in bedding
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 00:45 »
Do you think shredded paper is okay Rosemary?  When I suggested it to Brian, he  said defo not in case they eat it and the ink injures them.  (But it won't injure them as much as the string they ate today will it???? lol)

But they are funny aren't they when you give them something strange.  The chicks were brought up on shavings, but at first when they were tiny, so they didn't eat the shavings, I got a tip off the internet. about putting a sheet over the shavings for a few days so they woudn't eat it, then once the chicks are a bit older, take the sheet away and you've got a nice clean bed for them.  But then when we put them in the big house, straw was cheaper as the house is 34ft long, and it took them a while to get used to it.

They are fine now though, so your 2 will be too!!!!

Selkie

change in bedding
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 16:59 »
they seemed ok with the shredded paper once i could get them inside their house, i guess it looks/feels different to straw.

anyway i've gone back to straw now so everyone's much happier!

ness

• Experienced Member
change in bedding
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 20:21 »
Mine were the same with a sunflower head, thought I was doing them a favour in making there run more interesting. You'd have thought it was a fox's head the fuss they made and refused point blank to go anywhere near it.   :lol:

calli

• http://greenwelliesbalertwine.myfreeforum.org/index.php
change in bedding
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 20:25 »
Sunflower heads - ours are more of the 'can we eat it' first...then if the answers no - then they reconsider..... :roll:

Selkie

change in bedding
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 20:54 »
Quote from: "ness"
Mine were the same with a sunflower head, thought I was doing them a favour in making there run more interesting. You'd have thought it was a fox's head the fuss they made and refused point blank to go anywhere near it.   :lol:

ness, i think my hens must be related to yours!! :lol:

i've given up hanging stuff up on the fencing posts for them to peck at -- they eventually would pluck up the courage to peck at the corncob or whatever and then freak out because it would move when they pecked it :roll:

ness

• Experienced Member
change in bedding
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 21:09 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
Quote from: "ness"

ness, i think my hens must be related to yours!! :lol:

i've given up hanging stuff up on the fencing posts for them to peck at -- they eventually would pluck up the courage to peck at the corncob or whatever and then freak out because it would move when they pecked it :roll:

Definitely related  :lol: the evil sunflower head was between them and their house it took them ages and lots of discussion before they plucked up courage to go pass it, let alone peck it.  They are funny things!

Selkie

change in bedding
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 21:15 »
:roll: mine are the same; we had an 'evil' cauliflower head in the run once... :roll:

eventually they realised it was edible

Fat Hen

change in bedding
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 21:37 »
Hi, my original 2 (daisy & polly) were similarly inclined wouldn't eat anything new & was 2 days before they would come in house when I changed the floor to lino.

I then got 3 ex-bats and they're like they've broken out of Borstal.  They'll eat owt, and are so inquisitive, they mug you when you go out in garden.  I went out today eating a butty (tuna & chilli) and one of them jumped up and took a peck out of it as i was having a bite.

I gave one of them a piece of the bread and they chased each other round the garden for 10 min (gave me chance to finnish my butty). :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
change in bedding
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 22:16 »
just a quickie for you rosie.

wee hugglet went off safe and sound today, .... with wee hugglet number two.

turns out after id brought him in for the night another appeared about 1am. id been feeding two and didnt know it.

so we saved two hoggies

muntjac

change in bedding
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 22:17 »
Quote from: "happyvalley"
just a quickie for you rosie.

wee hugglet went off safe and sound today, .... with wee hugglet number two.

turns out after id brought him in for the night another appeared about 1am. id been feeding two and didnt know it.

so we saved two hoggies

dang two meals gone then   :roll:
still alive /............

Selkie

change in bedding
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 11:44 »
oooh happy vallley, that's great news!!  :D

still haven't seen my one yet but keep finding the poo on the lawn :roll:

clip
How often do you change bedding?

Started by Littlemisspepperpot on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 24, 2021, 18:42
by Littlemisspepperpot
xx
sex change hen

Started by sheringhamlass on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 17:56
by New shoot
xx
change of pellets

Started by scara on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 11, 2007, 23:42
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Can matriarch's change?

Started by falcieri on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 09:47
by falcieri

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 35 queries.