More and more football!

• 31 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: More and more football!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2022, 23:32 »
I'm not a great football fan but I watched the Wales matches. However, what does the BBC think it's doing - hardly anything but the world cup in the news and a quick bit on China, not even a mention of Olena Zelenska addressing parliament.
Still, it's obvious news is very 3rd place now in the BBC - bump the 10pm news back to make room for some cheap trashy game show.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

GraciesGran

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2022, 06:39 »
Watching the news you'd think that the war in Ukraine was over.  The Pakistan floods had been sorted and all was right with the world.  Am I the only person who feels that the BBC is letting itself and us down.

jaydig

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2022, 08:37 »
Totally agree with you, Mrs B.  By the same token, but on a slightly different track, I can never understand why people taking a short flight to their holiday destination, often not more than a couple of hours, have to have more alcohol than is good for them prior to boarding the plane and then continue to drink for every available minute while in flight.  They can't all be terrified of flying, surely?

mrs bouquet

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2022, 12:15 »
This is a lovely programme to watch and relax.  BBC 4 at 7.30, Robbie Cummins and his Canal Boat Diaries.
He lives on this boat and sails for 100's of miles in the uk.   It is interesting and he is funny and very natural.
Give it a try.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2022, 14:06 »
I've been loving the World Cup so far, some great suprise results and England doing well always helps.
18.7 million people tuned in for last night's Wales vs England game!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2022, 17:27 »
I've been loving the World Cup so far, some great suprise results and England doing well always helps.
I think it's great that the cup is being shown on free to air (shelving the licence fee discussion) but wrong to devote most of the news to something that could be covered in 5 minutes.
Incidentally, it was real bad luck that Bale was injured early on although the England team really outclassed Wales. Better to lose 3:1 than 3:0  :(

wighty

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2022, 17:41 »
I remember back in the day you didn't go out on a Saturday night until you'd watched Starsky and Hutch and similar programmes.  We are watching Strictly result, eating our tea, and going to bed!  We're fed up of scrabbling around to find something to watch.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2022, 02:19 »
I'm watching American collegiate football over here.  The fans are generally much more polite. People that behave like hooligans are very rare.

It helps that my University of Georgia Bulldogs are again rated number one in the nation, will be playing for their conference championship, and (short of a freak accident) will also be playing for a national championship.

I almost never watch professional football.  The college games are much more fun.

Well, my U. of Georgia Bulldogs won their Southeastern Conference championship just a few minutes ago!  The first(semifinal) round of national championship playoffs is on December 31, the final game is on January 9, 2023.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2022, 08:21 »
I think it's about time people stopped making jokes about the Welsh football team.

In all fairness they're not that bad - their last 15 results actually look something like this:-

LLWDWWDDLLWWDLL  - which, by sheer coincidence is also the name of the village where Gareth Bale's dad was born...

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2022, 11:50 »
We make sure we record as much as possible during the week ready for the weekend desert. Yesterday we watched Astrid in Paris a French series about an autistic woman who helps the police. This has a double benefit something worth watching instead of sport but also helps improve our french  :)
Keep digging

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2022, 18:28 »
LLWDWWDDLLWWDLL  -
I just spent 5 minutes trying to pronounce that.. I may never get my tongue untwisted and talk again. :(

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2022, 21:48 »

Really enjoyed the Spain  Japan game the other night especially the  Japanese defending in the last 20 minutes and sending the Germans home.  Looking forward to Saturdays game,  England playing some team  from across the channel, apparently they're world champions.

Great credit to the commentators who  clearly do their homework,  knowing the names and stats of all the players from the 32 teams , they make it sound so easy.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2022, 00:42 »

Really enjoyed the Spain  Japan game the other night especially the  Japanese defending in the last 20 minutes and sending the Germans home.  Looking forward to Saturdays game,  England playing some team  from across the channel, apparently they're world champions.

Great credit to the commentators who  clearly do their homework,  knowing the names and stats of all the players from the 32 teams , they make it sound so easy.

Well as someone of German descent, I can't say I was thrilled by their exit, but credit to Japan. I thought they were hard done by to lose today to the Croatians, they were fantastic in the first half.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2022, 17:51 »
Morocco have knocked Spain  out on penalties after a goalless 120 minutes.

wighty

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2022, 18:21 »
I just wish the TV mags knew which channel was showing the game and then we could watch something else rather than watch  'anything' to pass the time.  When the 'anything' finishes I look to see what next to watch and I've missed a programme I like. >:(

xx
Football

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post July 15, 2018, 10:27
by JayG
xx
American football in London today

Started by Subversive_plot on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post October 10, 2021, 18:19
by GraciesGran
xx
Football Stat that blew my mind at the difference.....

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2018, 11:06
by al78
xx
My alma mater, National (American) Football Champions!

Started by Subversive_plot on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post January 11, 2022, 18:21
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 51 queries.