More and more football!

• 31 Replies

mrs bouquet

More and more football!
« on: November 19, 2022, 16:30 »
Is anybody else like me and dislikes the game.  There is so much of it, -  men, women, wheelchairs, thats the rugby, and after all that, Match of the Day.
I am seeing angry fans who cannot get a beer.  You want a beer, go to a bar.   aYou want football, go to a stadium.  I wouldn't let people drink beer in the stands at any games anywhere in the World.   Call me a spoil-sport.  No thats all the others.     
How long do I have to endure this Worldcup ? :mad:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

Re: More and more football!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 17:32 »
Is anybody else like me and dislikes the game.  There is so much of it, -  men, women, wheelchairs, thats the rugby, and after all that, Match of the Day.
I am seeing angry fans who cannot get a beer.  You want a beer, go to a bar.   aYou want football, go to a stadium.  I wouldn't let people drink beer in the stands at any games anywhere in the World.   Call me a spoil-sport.  No thats all the others.     
How long do I have to endure this Worldcup ? :mad:  Mrs Bouquet

With you there, Mrs B!

Two weeks of complete bliss with the live TV firmly off - except for the DVDs of anything like 'Frost' or 'Not the Nine o'clock News'!

As for beer consumption, before Twickenham rugby stadium was redeveloped, everybody would arrange to meet outside the old West Stand Bar before the game, have a couple with friends, then take their seats, (minus beer glasses), and then reassemble after the match! Sometimes a chap would be 'told' to leave the game just before the final whistle, and go and order twenty pints, and woe betide anyone who didn't pay up when they all got back there!

It was often dark when the place started to empty! There was never any trouble, we always made a few new friends, really enjoyed the cameraderie, and couldn't wait until the next home game!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 00:42 »
I'm watching American collegiate football over here.  The fans are generally much more polite. People that behave like hooligans are very rare.

It helps that my University of Georgia Bulldogs are again rated number one in the nation, will be playing for their conference championship, and (short of a freak accident) will also be playing for a national championship.

I almost never watch professional football.  The college games are much more fun.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

wighty

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 07:46 »
Neither of us are fans of football and so are also dreading the next few weeks.  It's all they talk about on the tv and are fed up with it and it hasn't even started yet!

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 09:10 »
To be fair the World Cup is only once every 4 years! I usually enjoy watching it but this tournament has been overshadowed by the ongoing talk about human rights etc which in my opinion is spoiling it for true football fans. Sport in general is getting too politicised these days!

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 10:01 »
Mrs B if you don’t have it I would recommend Netflix plus recording any drama if you can. I can’t say my wife and I are happy with the BBC obsession with sport at present.
Not to mention the plethora of silly game shows. Really annoying too that older pensioners have to pay the licence fee but the mainstream channel programmes are increasingly trashy in my view.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 10:17 by Hampshire Hog »
Keep digging

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 13:59 »
I do not subscribe to any channels, but I do find that most of the time I can navigate to find something to watch.  I do record things as well so that I can watch them on bad nights.  Mrs B

GraciesGran

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 14:54 »
There is no interest in the world cup football in this house.  My husband supports his football team and that is all

The rugby however has been fabulous. We have been glued to the wheelchair rugby, how they survive each game I don't understand. 

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 10:56 »
I do not subscribe to any channels, but I do find that most of the time I can navigate to find something to watch.  I do record things as well so that I can watch them on bad nights.  Mrs B

It depends how old your TV is Mrs B, but if it’s new enough to connect to the internet you can access lots of free channels like the BBC I-player.  Loads to watch there!

PS.  I connect my TV via a TP link  (starter kit available on the South American river site)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 14:16 »
Thanks Aunty, I shall have a word with the people I bought it from, but I suspect it must be at least 25  years, if not older.  I shall enquire.    Mrs B

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 17:47 »
II tend to agree with AndyRVTR 100% to many sport politics brought into sport these days thank God for the channel changer

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 18:12 »
Just seen a headline while whisking through the news headlines...

England v Iran 6-2!

Not a bad start with six wickets for just two runs! Were they byes?

wighty

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 18:16 »
I'm just watching the BBC news, 20 minutes so far on the football. Has nothing else happened around the World today?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 21:59 »
Thanks Aunty, I shall have a word with the people I bought it from, but I suspect it must be at least 25  years, if not older.  I shall enquire.    Mrs B

Perhaps invest in a new one Mrs B.   :D

GraciesGran

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2022, 08:59 »
I'm just watching the BBC news, 20 minutes so far on the football. Has nothing else happened around the World today?

I'm assuming/hoping that everything in the world has sorted itself out or have I got it wrong?

xx
Football

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post July 15, 2018, 10:27
by JayG
xx
American football in London today

Started by Subversive_plot on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post October 10, 2021, 18:19
by GraciesGran
xx
Football Stat that blew my mind at the difference.....

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2018, 11:06
by al78
xx
My alma mater, National (American) Football Champions!

Started by Subversive_plot on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post January 11, 2022, 18:21
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 51 queries.