Frugal Food can be the Best

• 4 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Frugal Food can be the Best
« on: August 28, 2022, 19:41 »
With energy costs and food prices going through the roof, we all need to develop frugal habits and be aware of costs. With a bit of thought we can at least offset some of the blow.

A few thoughts on reducing food costs here
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Frugal Food can be the Best
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 19:53 »
I think the point re. pulses is particularly well made.

I have never had the confidence (or, more importantly, the pre-planning  ::) ) to pre-soak / pre-boil pulses. Many have advised on here before, but I've still never gone for it! I don't have a pressure cooker (and no room to store one), so your point about length of time to boil them is a fair point in today's fuel situation too.

At what point do you freeze them? What extra cooking do they need once being used? And do you have to thaw them before cooking, or can they be used from frozen?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 00:58 »
Once a batch of beans have been cooked, just let the ones for the freezer cool down. Bag up and leave in the fridge to chill prior to freezing.
Usually we'd take out of the freezer a few hours before using so they'd be mainly defrosted but I suppose you could add still frozen to a stew.
Extra cooking depends on what bean, what you're cooking etc.
We don't use the pressure cooker as much as I would - Val's never quite forgotten her Dad making a stew when she was a child, overfilling the cooker and redecorating the kitchen ceiling through the safety valve!
Cara has one of the more modern multi-cookers that pressure cook, slow cook, make yoghurt and probably fixes a coffee too. Personally I prefer our analogue technology old pressure cooker, nowt to go wrong :)
Incidentally, best book ever written on beans is The Bean Book by Rose Elliott One of those books that you replace because it gets used so often.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 12:26 »
I have a well-thumbed copy of the Bean Book on my kitchen shelf, as well   :)

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 13:45 »
When we use the oven we try and cook two things at once.  For example, a tray full of halved tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil and some seasoning will make a stunning sauce once roasted and blended and the moisture from the pan makes a loaf of bread on the other shelf bake better.

clip
Children & Food

Started by John on New Across The Site

8 Replies
Last post January 26, 2020, 12:52
by WeavingGryphon
xx
Coming food crisis?

3 Replies
Last post June 28, 2022, 23:21
by John
xx
Coming Food Shortage?

14 Replies
Last post November 24, 2022, 09:38
by rowlandwells
xx
Flowers! Soul food.

0 Replies
Last post April 06, 2020, 11:32
by John

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 40 queries.