Chillis - harvesting and storage

• 9 Replies

ambodach

Chillis - harvesting and storage
« on: August 18, 2022, 13:01 »
At last I have had success with chillis in the polytunnel - slugs have been my problem in past years so pots and raised out of slug reach !!
So when do I harvest and what are the ways of storage please?
Rob

Nobbie

Re: Chillis - harvesting and storage
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 19:51 »
I grow Apache and have two plants with almost fully developed green chillis on. I’ll take all the fully grown chillis off one and freeze them and I should then get a 2nd crop of green chillis. I’ll let the chillis on the other plant ripen, then harvest and freeze when they turn red. I find freezing really preserves the flavour, just got to be quick chopping them up from frozen before they go soggy.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 21:25 »
As Nobbie says, freezing works very well.  Thinner walled chillies can be dried easily and ground or stored whole.  We ferment some and keep the 'mash' as a base for chilli sauces.  Chilli Jam is a household staple too.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 06:38 »
Mrs Growster threads them and we hang them up to let them dry in the conservatory.

They are incredibly strong to taste after a couple of months - sometimes just half an Apache is enough to set the place alight!

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 09:12 »
as Growster says we then put when dried into blender to make chilli flakes they will last ages if properly dried they are a staple to most of our cooking probably addictive.
from bow like to grow

ambodach

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 09:35 »
Many thanks all of you.  So many options and then I got a link recently to Sriracha sauce, and realised after I had posted my original query that that might be a good use with a recipe off the internet

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/hot-sauces/homemade-sriracha-hot-sauce-recipe/

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 09:52 »
I normally slice mine in half length wise, dry in the oven very slowly (seeds still in) and then put in my spice grinder and store in a air tight jar to add to curries pasta's ect all year
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 09:54 by KalisDad »
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 13:23 »
Many thanks all of you.  So many options and then I got a link recently to Sriracha sauce, and realised after I had posted my original query that that might be a good use with a recipe off the internet

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/hot-sauces/homemade-sriracha-hot-sauce-recipe/
If your chillies are thin walled or very hot you can substitute some of the chillis with sweet peppers.  I've even used butternut squash in chilli sauce to thicken and/or bulk out because it was too hot.

Boston digger

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2022, 04:02 »
Lots of good advice here , I am growing some in pots for the first time , I have scotch bonnet and Ghost .

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 06:17 »
as Growster says we then put when dried into blender to make chilli flakes they will last ages if properly dried they are a staple to most of our cooking probably addictive.

In Annie Hawes' book, 'Extra Virgin', she encounters a lovely old boy who was indeed addicted to chillis! He'd have them with every dish apparently!

clip
Chillis, and what to do with them...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 02, 2022, 05:33
by Growster...
xx
Pickling Chillis

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 16:15
by Elcie
xx
Storing chillis

Started by cudders on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post January 29, 2009, 09:19
by mrsdirtyboots
xx
stuffed chillis

Started by tetley on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post August 31, 2007, 13:24
by ytyynycefn

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 47 queries.