Are those green coloured polytunnels advertised on the likes of Ebay, any good?

• 3 Replies

DougRdf

Hi, everyone. This is my first post, so go easy!
As title, I've seen those green coloured polytunnels advertised, for around 80 quid. I have room for one on my garden plot but wondered if any of you either have one or have a view on it please?
My main problem is bird damage, closely followed by rabbits and the odd mouse enjoys some seeds too! But mainly, its bird damage to my runner beans, onion sets, and more. Currently, the area I grow these in has to have a green coloured netting over it (4ft posts with chicken wire around the plot) but it's a pain having to lift it off to get inside the plot. From seeing these polytunnels, I wondered if they will do the trick. Any thoughts please?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
In my garden - protected by fences and hedges, the frame was ok but the zip broke quite quickly and the little clear windows of plastic between the green mesh started to fall out in the second year. I ended up with a self-watering polytunnel.
However if you are only interested in bird protection, rather than needing the warmth/protection of a polytunnel, when the cover 'dies' you could then cover the frame with netting, bodge a door opening, and have a walk-in growing cage. My frame lasted 10 years longer than the cover..

DougRdf

Thanks for replying. I've read similar comments too so I'll give it a miss I think and try the polytunnel route instead.

Rob the rake

I was gifted one of these, so installed it despite my misgivings, with the sides held down by heavy kerbstones. I arrived a couple of days later and actually saw the thing, uprooted by a stiff wind and having taken flight, doing a "Mary Poppins" over the next row of allotments, then the nearby wood, never to be seen again. :wacko:
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 38 queries.