Football

• 7 Replies

mrs bouquet

Football
« on: July 12, 2018, 09:44 »
I have very little interest in football, and will never watch.  But I do know that Croatia is passionate about all forms of sport and have some seriously good players and I was sceptical about the match.

But I do feel very sorry for all the 1,000's of fans who must be bitterly disappointed at England Losing.

Don't know what else to say.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

al78

Re: Football
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 12:20 »
I genuinely thought England had a chance of winning it, they had a fortunate run which avoided the strongest teams, although I think they would have struggled against France in the final. They still had to put the work in to get as far as they did, so I say well done on getting to the semi final, and it was very close, they were leading most of the match until the equaliser agonisingly close to the full time whistle. The fans will get over it, disappointment has happened so often that they should have good practice at dealing with it. On Monday it will all be over and everyone will be back to their normal mundane lives.

I was hoping England made the final for one good reason, I am traveling 250 miles to visit family on Sunday, and if England were playing, the road traffic would probably be at a record low.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 14:22 »
I sat up to see it live and am glad I did. England's role in the World cup really gave some much-needed happiness and unity to so many people. I might even get a waist-coat!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 16:41 »
I was so emotionally exhausted after watching Federer lose in 5 sets I was a little zombie-like watching England play Croatia, which lessened the pain of defeat somewhat.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 17:47 »
Although I've never been interested in football, I did feel sorry both for the England team, and for all of the fans.  It did seem that there was a proper team spirit, and I'm sure that as time goes on this will become even better.  There seemed to be no nastiness and no one player seemed to deem themselves more important than any other, and it must have been a pleasure to watch, even though they didn't manage to get through to the final.  Better luck next time, hopefully, and they should certainly be proud of themselves for making such a wonderful effort, and getting as far as they did.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 22:10 »
We actually watched the extra time - although football is not my sport of choice, I would have loved to see us win. Still, at least we lost with honour - no dirty playing and fake injury stuff. Quite amazing that Croatia could do so well. Maybe Wales have a chance in the next one!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Imhoff

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 22:45 »
I agree, England played a great tournament. I hope they'll pull themselves together and finish the tourney with a win against Belgium, even though that's not too important of a game.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 10:27 »
Recorded the play-off match, and after Belgium scored in the 4th minute decided to watch the rest on fast-forward. All over in 20 minutes, and really rather enjoyable to see so much energy being expended for so little  reward!  :lol:

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 43 queries.