What likes it dry and what likes it wet?

• 1 Replies

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
What likes it dry and what likes it wet?
« on: November 02, 2014, 20:57 »
Hi

In the PT I've got both sprinkler type watering systems and soaker hose.  For next season I'd like to try to provide the ideal humidity/watering for all the plants grown.  I know cukes like a misting or two but what about lettuce?  strawbs?  peppers? etc etc.

Would be nice to know which plants like what as regards misting/humidity.

Is there a list anywhere?

TIA

Adri
Peak Hives

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: What likes it dry and what likes it wet?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 10:00 »
Unfortunately one size doesn't fit all when it comes to watering, and I'd be cautions about using the overhead sprinkler - it may work in monocropping commercial PT's but my neighbour has one and some plants get over-watered and some almost missed entirely, so he still has to get the hose and watering can out!
It will also tend to keep the overall humidity high which can encourage blight and other fungal diseases - tomato leaves in particular are best not wetted at all if possible.

Having discovered that excess direct sunshine burns cucumber leaves to a crisp in my GH (possibly not such a problem in a PT) I suggest growing them in a corner, i.e. away from the door/s - you can then mist them from time to time which will help create a more humid microclimate for them without affecting crops which don't need or appreciate it so much.

Best to aim for consistent soil/compost dampness - splitting toms and blossom end rot (toms and peppers) are both mainly caused by extremes of soil moisture.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 35 queries.