Lonely old girl

• 8 Replies

jhub

• jane
Lonely old girl
« on: August 21, 2013, 09:54 »
Due to progressive arthritis I've re homed my two young light Sussex with a view to keeping my 4 years old hybrid who is no longer laying. I've moved her into a smaller coop so I can keep her outside my kitchen French windows - this way we see a lot of each other.
I know all the arguments about chickens being social birds but do not want to put her through re homing with all it entails especially at her age.
She's in her new coop (my ex quarantine Eglu) but seems to spend most of the day sitting in the nest box, coming out for food and drink.
Any advice welcomed.
Thanks
Jane

compostqueen

Re: Lonely old girl
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 12:00 »
She won't do well on her own I don't think. It sounds like she's already unhappy if she's not coming out.  Normally she should be out all the time. 

Would it have been better to have rehomed her with the Light Sussex hens?  I know you say you wanted to keep her but it's not really fair on her. It's what's best for her at the end of the day, and going with her pals would have been better  :)

jhub

• jane
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 16:16 »
They wanted laying hens otherwise I would have done so.
She's a little perkiervthis afternoon so fingers crossed.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 16:18 »
To clarify- i would have re homed her with the two light Sussex but not as a single hen.

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 20:06 »
Suggest looking for someone with older hens who would be willing to take her. Most of ours are well past laying, although why they eat as much (or more) only they know. Sorry can't offer to help (we're in NWales), but I'm sure a post in the swops might be worthwhile - either to find a home or a companion for her.

Mum2mj

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 20:32 »
Hi, There's a farm in godstone (not godstone farm though!) that rehomes chickens for whatever reason. I've just rehomed my two, 3yr old ext batts there. It's not too far from you but you would have to deliver her. If you're interested I can PM the details
Edit - sorry just realised you said you wouldn't rehome as a single hen so my post probably didn't help much!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 20:57 by Mum2mj »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 23:04 »
It could be that she will take time to adjust to not having her friends around.  If you can find things to keep her occupied and spend as much time with her as you can that should help.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

barley

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 00:01 »
we got down to one hen once as they all got older and gradually went to the big coup in the sky

I put a mirror in with her till we were able to get new hens - it worked a treat , she stayed with her reflection quite happily and then when we were outside she was happy to follow us round as usual

jhub

• jane
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 00:45 »
Thanks everyone- i will try the mirror approach, and chat as much as possible.
Will let you know how she gets on.

xx
Anyone in Milton Keynes area with space for a lonely old girl?

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 07, 2022, 14:29
by Growster...
sad
lonely hen

Started by snowy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:42
by andreadon
xx
Lonely Hen

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 13:54
by nerdle
xx
Lonely Hen

Started by yorkylover on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 08:24
by joyfull

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 35 queries.