Apples and pears

• 3 Replies

Lily

Apples and pears
« on: May 25, 2008, 11:01 »
The apple and pear trees in my garden are loaded with fruit to grow. :)
I do not know if I should remove some to allow for the rest to grow or just to leave it be? :?:
Also the apple tree is not growing in height but in width (4 ft high and 5ft wide). Should I support the bottom branches (about 1ft high and 3ft loong and full of promising fruit!) ?
I do not know the variety of apple it is as we found the tree dumped in our garden when we moved in.
Also the pear tree is sky high. Is it a good thing?
Thanks for your advice,

Lily
Do not underestimate the therapeutic values of weeding!
1 dog, 2 children, 3 good reasons not to spread poison!

muntjac

Apples and pears
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 15:17 »
let it go for this year and in winter cut out the centre trunk of the pear .trim out any diseased wood or twisted branches ,paint over the cuts with wound heal ,avalable from garden stores .do the same for the apples but cut the branches back by a third this will allow air to get in among the branches , feed in spring with growmore 1 oz sq yard water well in hot weather by leaving the hose over the outer areas about 2 mtres from the pear .1.1/2 mtres for the apple
still alive /............

bb_odiham

Apples and pears
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 23:28 »
I dunno if it was muntjac somewhere else or someone else I saw on TV talking about this same subject (before I found this forum), but my God, it works!

I spent many hours during January lopping off dead branches and generally trying to get a "goblet" shape in the branches of our apple tree.
I cut any live branches off at a 30 degree angle with the face of the cut pointing downward - very clean cut - and painted as advised.

The amount of blossom we got this spring is double last years, plus you can almost see that the tree is happier and will produce a far greater amount of fruit because of the heavy pruning, at least, I hope so.

The wood from January's treatment also burns great on the BBQ :D
Jack of all trades, master of none.

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Re: Apples and pears
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 06:11 »
Quote from: "Lily"
The apple and pear trees in my garden are loaded with fruit to grow. :)
I do not know if I should remove some to allow for the rest to grow or just to leave it be? :?:
Lily

Hi,
Traditionally, for apples at least, you wait for the 'June drop' as the tree will naturally shed some anyway.
Thinning the remaining can be beneficial; it allows them to grow bigger and in the case of bi-annual fruit bearers, can help in getting a crop each year, like Bramley's as an example.
Cheers,

Wayne.

xx
Apples amd pears crop

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 12, 2022, 11:35
by Grubbypaws
xx
First All My Pears Fell Off - Now My Apples Are Too!!!

Started by whitespirit66 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 07:27
by Swing Swang
xx
Apples, pears & plums

Started by drizabone on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 10:02
by gobs
xx
Apples, plums and pears

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 06, 2015, 10:32
by erikaz1

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 35 queries.