Moulting but with a strange walk???

• 4 Replies

Chickencoo

Moulting but with a strange walk???
« on: November 21, 2014, 10:38 »
Hi  Doodles is a cross Suffolk hen, think she is now 5 years old and known as super chicken for her fab eggs, she stopped laying as usual when she comes in to moult, this time however in the last few days she has started walking strangely, she does not seem to be in any distress but keeps dipping her left wing and seems to want to walk stooped closer to the ground than the normal upright position, if she walks across a 10ft stretch she might dip about 5ft in, then keeps moving sometimes in small circle loops to get to where she wants.  I have examined her for any wounds, she does not feel like she has any egg stuck anywhere, she is eating well, but I do know she really hates the moult and feels the cold (one very miserable chicken) any ideas?  Will go and check to see if both her eyes are working but cannot think of anything else   :wacko:

grinling

Re: Moulting but with a strange walk???
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 18:35 »
check ears for mites.
i put a bowl of warm porridge made with water and left it in the sunshine as Bluey looked cold and bald...they will stay under the fig bush!!
Check temp under wings and compare to the other hens.
are they staying close or leaving her on her own?

barley

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 21:26 »

Asherweef

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 08:38 »
Had  a similar problem recently - check if one of her hocks is inflamed/swollen. May be a damaged joint.

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 15:29 »
Hi  Doodles is a cross Suffolk hen, think she is now 5 years old and known as super chicken for her fab eggs, she stopped laying as usual when she comes in to moult, this time however in the last few days she has started walking strangely, she does not seem to be in any distress but keeps dipping her left wing and seems to want to walk stooped closer to the ground than the normal upright position, if she walks across a 10ft stretch she might dip about 5ft in, then keeps moving sometimes in small circle loops to get to where she wants.  I have examined her for any wounds, she does not feel like she has any egg stuck anywhere, she is eating well, but I do know she really hates the moult and feels the cold (one very miserable chicken) any ideas?  Will go and check to see if both her eyes are working but cannot think of anything else   :wacko:

One of my elderley Warrens is doing exactly the same - the vet said it's old age. She did the same last Winter as well - I guess like old ladies, they feel the cold and they must get the chicken version of arthritis!

xx
Chicken with a weird walk and moulting?????

Started by Chickencoo on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 16:28
by Chickencoo
xx
Walk-in run

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 17:41
by bygrace
grin
walk about

Started by Hooee on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 09:47
by Foxy
xx
running before I can walk!

Started by newhen on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 19:41
by newhen

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 30 queries.