spirits still fermenting

• 5 Replies

sion01

spirits still fermenting
« on: July 27, 2011, 21:46 »
I posted a question in January about a sloe gin type brew I had on the go and that I was quite surprised when it started to ferment,somebody suggested I was well on the way to makeing pochin.

Well the blasted thing is still fermenting,it's been at it for 10 months now.It's far from a furiouse ferment just a glug or 4 a day.I've never had a wine go as long as this so a spirit going so long is a bit shocking as the spirit was 40% proof to begin with.

Would you suggest putting a camden tablet in or let it run it's course?I'm a bit wary of trying it at the moment as I'm concerned for my tooth enamel and intestines but I'm building up the courage and will have a sip one of these days :wacko:

mike1987

• Experienced Member
Re: spirits still fermenting
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:30 »
it may not be a true ferment at all as even the strongest yeasts strugle to get over 21% mabey its a malolactic ferment (sp) where any malic acids are breaking down into nicre tasteing less full on lactic acids
im not sure on the malic acid content of sloes but i cant see it being a true ferment if it is can you send me the sediment to try and culture a high alchol tolrence yeast from

sion01

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 12:53 »
You could well be spot on as there is no sediment at the bottom of the demijons.I also didn't make it clear in this post that it was a sloe gin surprise as it contains blackcurrants not sloes and one demi is topped up with brandy while the other one with vodka.

If it is the malic acid ferment is it safe for me to bottle it or wait for this to stop.Is there a way of knowing exactly just incase i've got a yeast that you can produce rocket fuel from.

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 13:11 »
if it is malolac then leave it to finish as it still produces co2 i cant find anything on the web or in books that mentiones malolac in fruit spirits or further fermentation for that matter mabey to be sure that no referment is happening you could add one crushed camden tab in per gall as for stopping a malolac ferment try cooling it down as close to 0° as you can and keep it there it may work or it may not im not sure if it can be stopped or not

sion01

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 16:48 »
i don't think bottleing it will be much of an issue.I've just tried the two of them and they are without dought the best brews I've ever done.The one with be brandy is really smooth and just a hint of sweetness.The vodka one is a bit rougher but my neighbour who loves vodka prefered that one.It must be the malolactic thats made the brandy one so smooth it is really,really,really as good as any lequre you'd buy in a shop and better then 90% of them.

Is there a way of inducing a malolactic ferment ,I read on tinternet after you mentioned it that they induce it in chardonnay wine and mix it in equal quantitys with normal wine to keep a bit of acidy taste.

I may not be online for a few days as I may be comfartably numb for a while adios,hwyl wan,sionara :D :D :D

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 10:13 »
there is starter cultures availble to buy im not sure how well these would work in a spirt tho im going to the homebrew shop today so i will ask then

xx
Fermenting spirits

Started by sion01 on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post January 26, 2011, 07:24
by Thrift
xx
homemade spirits

Started by hotterotter on Homebrew

17 Replies
Last post March 19, 2007, 13:14
by muntjac
xx
Liquers / spirits

Started by bearhugger1972 on Homebrew

14 Replies
Last post June 02, 2012, 15:31
by Alastair-I
question
fermenting lager...

Started by steve chip on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 13:35
by rubixs

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 38 queries.