Greenhouse watering systems

• 4 Replies

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
Greenhouse watering systems
« on: November 06, 2011, 21:59 »
This may be in the wrong section so feel free to move it.
I have a small greenhouse 6x4 in my garden and at the rear of the GH is a full size water butt, I would like to have the water from the butt run in to the GH on tap.
Do you think a small pump put inside the butt and tubing fed through to the GH would be a good way to go, or a syphon system from the butt's bottom tap would work.
Now you may say why not just walk to the butt with a can, the reason being after my operation on my spine i have lost the use of my left arm and walking is a little bit dodgy but am improving as time go's on,more than i can say for my typing, plus i like gadgets.
PS. i have no room to move the butt.
Reg
I'm lost without my SatNav.

savbo

Re: Greenhouse watering systems
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 13:03 »
I have a siphon from the top of a butt outside my g'house, through a hole drilled in a twinwall pane, giving me water inside the g'house. Mine actually goes into another butt, but you could equally well have a simple tap at the end of the siphon

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 15:52 »
What will determine what you can do will be the difference in height between what you want to water and the level of the water in the butt (obviously you can't siphon uphill and a pipe connected to the tap would also stop flowing when the two levels are the same.)

If the butt is on a stand and the plants are at ground level you would get a reasonable flow rate, but bear in mind that the rate will reduce as the butt empties which might stop you using it as an automatic watering system (when you were away, for instance.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 18:52 »
Thank all, i am going to our garden centre to morrow as they have a fish house section, hopefully will get some tubeing and a small tape.
I only wont it to be the hight of a 2lt milk bottle and the but is about 6 inches off the ground, but will have to drill a hole through the greenhouse for the pipe.
================================
I got to tell you this but promise not to tell anyone.
My beloved wife this morning takes our automatic car to the shops, returning to the car it won't start, phones me and i said phone the AA and phone me back.
15 minuets later she phones me again but gigaling down the phone, i said what was the trouble with the car.
The gear lever was in 'D'.....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:45 »
I got to tell you this but promise not to tell anyone.
My beloved wife this morning takes our automatic car to the shops, returning to the car it won't start, phones me and i said phone the AA and phone me back.
15 minuets later she phones me again but gigaling down the phone, i said what was the trouble with the car.
The gear lever was in 'D'.....

:lol: (Might be a good idea to not include your wife's ideas in the plans for the watering system!)  ::)

xx
Irrigation/drip watering systems

Started by DHM on Design and Construction

13 Replies
Last post January 19, 2019, 16:31
by goose
xx
Recycled double glazed self watering greenhouse

Started by Dilly Dom on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 20:55
by Jabberwock
xx
Timed watering system

Started by Yana on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 20:45
by BritBrat
xx
crazy watering idea needs help

Started by Grubbypaws on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 14:20
by Chrysalis

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 36 queries.