d i y coldframe

• 25 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: d i y coldframe
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 18:47 »
Food for thought, thanks both  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

lornaluft

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 20:53 »
Hi compostqueen. No lornaluft is not my real name. Im a big judy garland fan and Lorna Luft is the name of her 2nd daughter.

Dr Jim

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 21:33 »
I have just found this chat (I am new to the whole website) and am particularly interested in it as I plan to build a cold frame with a double glazed unit I have (after replacing windows in the house.)  I am limited by the dimensions of that window (4 feet x 2 feet), but am uncertain how high I should make it.  I have some lengths of timber 6 inches wide and some 4 inches wide.  Do I set the front (lowest level) at 4 inches, 6 inches or combined at 10 inches.  Sorry to seem so ignorant but I really am a novice at this (despite being 70 years of age!)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 21:56 »
If you think about the plants that your frame will house, you will get an idea of how low/high to set your front level.

The leaves sholdn;t be pressing against the glass..... you might want to both use the frame to harden off plants before setting them out, or to grow crops in during the winter.

Ten inches sounds a better bet imho, with the back higher if you can  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Chrysalis

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 15:33 »
Thanks Sunshineband!  Might get around to making mine this weekend...in between making the base for the new greenhouse ( :D :D), revitalising the baskets for winter cabbage and garlic and relaxing, of course!
I shall attempt the higher front and even higher back as you suggest. C

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 01:32 »
I'm going to cheat!!  :happy:

My father has 3 aluminium cold-frames and doesn't make much use of them these days. As he is moving soon I thought I'd dismantle his (when I get time) and plonk them in his new garden.......which just happens to be across the road from my place.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 07:22 »

My father has 3 aluminium cold-frames and doesn't make much use of them these days. As he is moving soon I thought I'd dismantle his (when I get time) and plonk them in his new garden.......which just happens to be across the road from my place.  ;)

Sounds a perfick plan to me  :nowink:

Dr Jim

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 21:34 »
Thanks, sunshineband, for the advice about height for my new (planned) home made coldframe.  Your suggestions make very good sense and I will follow your advice.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 09:46 »

......and being fully glazed there is enough light available to stand them on breeze blocks and/or bricks and grow much taller plants in them!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 15:18 »
I recall seeing pix of Monty Don's coldframes at his house and his appear to be about 2 ft high at the front and about 3 ft high at the back. Apparently he likes to let his plants get quite tall and mature so this works well for him. I personally would never build a short coldframe as the plants would have to be out of it in no time because they'd be pushing against the lid which is not a good idea.

Paul Plots

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 22:17 »

......and being fully glazed there is enough light available to stand them on breeze blocks and/or bricks and grow much taller plants in them!  :)

Now that's a good idea. Thanks JayG.  :)

xx
coldframe ideas please

Started by prakash_mib on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 17:38
by noshed
xx
going to build a coldframe

Started by philskin on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 08:50
by philskin
xx
coldframe repair

Started by katie on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post November 10, 2008, 16:47
by muntjac
xx
DIY window coldframe

Started by Ed89 on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 18:25
by Ed89

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 39 queries.