Advice please: Hatching duck eggs

• 9 Replies

two webbed feet

• Two Webbed Feet
Advice please: Hatching duck eggs
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:47 »
Hi everyone,  I'm very excited as I've just been to look at the Aylesbury eggs my runner, Dora, is sitting on and 2 of them have pipped (day 28 is Thursday).  Just wondered if anyone can give any advice about what to do now.....Should we keep a close eye on them and will they need any help??? Do they always manage to get out of the shell? (that sounds like a really daft question I know).  Any advice about this stage and the first few days would be very helpful as this is the first time I've looked after any ducklings from hatching...... :)

Many thanks  :D

Vember

Re: Advice please: Hatching duck eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:52 »
If they've broken through the shell then leave them be they tend to rest a bit before they make their great escape :) If no further on this time tomorrow shout :D

Have you got their feed sorted? Waterfowl crumbs is my preference but I know some folks use the small holder chick crumbs as it's not medicated :)

Sarah :)

two webbed feet

• Two Webbed Feet
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 08:59 »
Thanks Sarah,

Yes, planning to give them waterfowl crumbs as I know you can't give them chick crumb - it's a bit of a trek to the shop that sells them but don't want to risk giving them anything else. 

We let our ducks roam the garden during the day, leaving the run and house open for them if they want to go back in - I presume that we shouldn't let Dora and the ducklings out initially, keeping them in the run?  The only problem with this is that the run has a concrete base and I wouldn't want to deprive them of the grass and pond beyond.  What do you think?

Jo :)

Vember

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:21 »
Do you have a drake ? He could attack and kill the babies if you let them all out together although mine have never shown any interest I wouldn't risk it.

I have kept mine in a completely separate run and house for at least 4 weeks with netting on top to protect from overhead nasties like magpies.

Is there any chance you could make them a temporary area on the grass? A cheap paddling pool would do for them to play in :)

two webbed feet

• Two Webbed Feet
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 09:31 »
No we don't have a drake at the moment - just 2 other ducks.  Think I will try and improvise something on the grass today.  What sort of netting do you put over the top?  I've got a large roll of chicken wire somewhere, a paddling pool and a couple of those blue water butts which I saw someone else on here had turned into a duck shelter (great idea!).  I always leave everything to the last minute!  I think I didn't quite believe that any ducklings were actully going to hatch (it's like having your first child  :) :D)  It's gonna be a busy day.... :)

Vember

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 09:48 »
I use pond netting as it's got smaller holes and flexible enough for me to lift so I can get in :lol: Anything that nasties can't get into will be great :)

Mum will protect them and call them to her if there is anything about, but they are prone to scattering in all directions which makes it more tricky for Mum :(

Best of luck and don't forget the pics when they hatch :D

two webbed feet

• Two Webbed Feet
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 10:16 »
Thanks Sarah - will keep you posted!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 20:05 »
Nothing really to add over what Sarah said.

Definately keep them somewhere coevered, I have lost ducklings to magpies - they are a menace! They love grubbing about in the grass and mud so if you can make them somewhere like that they will love you for it.

I have found the waterbutt on it's side great. It's light, easy to move and clean out and mine has a lid that has a catch that means I can lock it out and keep the big nasties like foxes out. I removed the tap so there is plenty of ventilation but rats can't get in which can also take young ducklings.

Good luck and enjoy them, it's wonderful seeing them with a Mum. On that note, final bit of advice, don't handle the ducklings unless you absolutely have to. Mums can get really protective and will attack you if you have them and the ducklings can get caught in the crossfire.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

two webbed feet

• Two Webbed Feet
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 08:17 »
Thanks Kate - I've just been to have a look at Dora and she's not budging from her nest at the moment.  If/when she gets off for a stretch later I'll go and have a peek and see what's going on.  When I looked yesterday lunchtime one of the eggs had definitely moved on in terms of a bigger hole had been made but nothing much was happening with the others so fingers crossed  :)  I'm sure I'll be back on here asking for more advice over the next day or so as things happen......

Jo  :) :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 08:18 »
Good luck.

xx
Hatching duck eggs advice needed

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 06, 2012, 16:55
by joyfull
xx
Hatching Duck Eggs

Started by Rupert Bear on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 17:32
by Rupert Bear
xx
does anyone know about hatching call duck eggs........

Started by inchhighfly on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2011, 11:00
by Pinti
xx
what humidity should I use for hatching duck eggs?

Started by lisacj on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 13:40
by lisacj

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 39 queries.