making nest boxes

• 8 Replies

karlooben

making nest boxes
« on: June 16, 2009, 21:02 »
has anyone here made thier own nest boxes that allow the eggs to roll away , my girls are etaing at the eggs again and its driving me mad  :(. i have looked at them online but they are very pricey so i fancy the idea of making my own.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: making nest boxes
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 21:27 »
Have a look at this Looby! I too have an egg eating hen  >:( actually caught her doing it 2 days ago! havent had any eggs off her for about a week so it must of started recently! This particular hen also has a beak ring as she plucks feathers and is the noisiest hen i have constantly begging for food! hubby said we should have her for sunday lunch!  :ohmy: gonna seperate her as i dont want the others starting too,  Ive had more than my fair share of challenges this year!
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 21:32 »
i think its more then one hen doing this and i can only really get to the eggs at 2,30 pm each day except the weekends where i can check almost non stop all day .

i need to find a way of making nest boxes on the floor which is the easy bit as i tried higher up ones a while back when they were sleeping in the little shed an they never used them for laying  but its making somethign the eggs can roll into via the inside of the house as i dont really want to be putting holes in the main shed walls  :unsure:

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 21:33 »
did i not see a plan on here somewhere for making that system work???? if not youtube is sometimes useful. I know what you mean though - if i remember where the picture was i will let you know asap.x

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 21:37 »
thankyou very much i have ideas in my head but until i get the bits an bobs to put them into pratice i dont know if it would work , wheres those boys on here when you want them  :lol: :lol:

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 21:47 »
thankyou very much i have ideas in my head but until i get the bits an bobs to put them into pratice i dont know if it would work , wheres those boys on here when you want them  :lol: :lol:

Sorry!! it would of helped if i had put the flippin link on!!!!  :nowink:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=16490.0
Debbie

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 21:56 »
I found where the diagram was now - it was a book I have (sorry - it bugged me!!;) )

anyway, you guys may have it or find it interesting, it's an old penguin book reprinted on amazon.co.uk "keeping poultry and rabbits on scraps"/claude goodchild/alan thompson

i got it to help me recreate a war time garden in the museum i work at to get a bit of background knowledge. it has the old pen and ink looking diagrams which are quite down to earth

a book of interest maybe. Hope you sort Miss Pecky!xXx

karlooben

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 06:10 »
great link thanks thats similar to what i want to do but slighty smaller ,its going to be tricky but if i can build a run etc then i am sure to do this  :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 06:30 »
let us know how you get on with this looby  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
nest boxes

Started by mollymuggles on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 08:55
by ghost61
xx
nest boxes

Started by van connick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 10, 2007, 16:13
by van connick
xx
Nest boxes...

Started by Taylor40 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 07:01
by Blobbs
xx
Nest Boxes

Started by mpv1961 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 19:34
by Pretty Chick

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 41 queries.