Newbie to chickens not sure if they will be safe from foxes.

• 16 Replies

hills999

Hi this is my first time on this forum just checking out information before i bought 4 chickens. I already have the coop but i am seriously considering not getting any chickens after reading about foxes.  I'm a single mum and can't afford the expense of installing electric fencing and a 6ft high fox proof fence, i would prefer not to bring lovely chickens into my garden if they are going to be under such threat from fox's. The chick house i have bought says it is fox proof but i am wondering. If anyone can look at the link i bought from and give me some advice i would be grateful before i doom innocent birds to a short life
Many thanks   
All advice very much appreciated. 
please look and advise.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chicken-Coop-HEN-HOUSE-POULTRY-home-rabbit-Run-hutch_W0QQitemZ220541376730QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry?hash=item33594a58da         

taximan

Re: Newbie to chickens not sure if they will be safe from foxes.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 19:47 »
cant see that theres owt wrong with the coop as long as they can freerange in the garden allday

hills999

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 20:08 »
cant see that theres owt wrong with the coop as long as they can freerange in the garden allday
thanks for being the only person to reply as a new starter to chickens i need all the advice i can get.
thanks

neil9797

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 20:33 »
I've got the same coop. Just make sure the:
(1) door and nest-box latches are secured - foxes can open basic latches
(2) fox cannot dig its way in. There are various ways to do this:
(a) bury a perimeter of chicken-wire all the way around the coop to a depth of >8inches
(b) place coop on concrete/paved area - but put a couple of inches of chipped-bark down so they can still scratch around.

There are plenty of fox-specific threads on the forum for more tips.

Don't let foxes freak you out!

N

neil9797

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 20:42 »
BTW, that coop is NOT big enough for four hens, no matter what the ebay advert said. The roosting area is just about big enough but the run is only about 1.4 sq metres; most peeps on this forum would recommend 1 sq metre per bird. If they are not going to be free-ranged then get three birds max or bantams (mini-hens).

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 21:16 »
It looks a smashing little house for hens, you can only do your best with regards to foxes and presumably will only find the weakness in your system if they get in. 

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 21:16 »
I agree with all above. Coop looks pretty sound, foxwise, Wire mesh is a must, because foxes can chew through chicken wire!

The run is quite small though, so if possible it would be nice if the birds could come out when you are home.  Always make sure to shut the birds away at dusk and all should be well.

It is worrying when you read all the negative stuff about predators, but the enjoyment you will get from your chooks will outweigh it. And where would we be if no-one ever took a bit of a risk??!! :happy:

Colette x
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

chick with chicks

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 22:52 »
We've never lost a chick to a fox, despite neighbours having lost a lot to them. I think it's cause we are very vigilant about putting them to bed as soon as they head into the coop for the night, or we have a neighbour do it if we aren't there.
But they can be about during the day too.... maybe a bit of luck involved  :)

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 23:14 »
There are quite a few threads re: the hen house you are looking at. I am afraid I have a low opinion of them, the wood is cheap, the run is tiny, certainly not enough room for 4 hens as has been already mentioned. Within that run you have to accomodate the ramp, drinkers, feeders etc.

Try looking locally, or at least have a look at a few. Often poultry suppliers will have some on display some even make their own, they will probably be happy to give advice etc

You will also need to think about the ground the house is on..will it be static or can you move it around to fresh grass every few days? If static then some form of base will be required eg woodchips that can be composted and renewed regulary. :)

matilda duck

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 09:25 »
I have that coup as a quarenteen pen! At the moment I have 2 banties in it...so much for quarenteen! ::) it is not big enough for 4 hens ever in the world. It's ok if they are to free range all day and use for sleeping!
Our dog broke down the mesh so we have had to reinforse it!  Don't get me wrong foxes are lethal when they attack but that's part of chicken keeping! As llong as you have time and a bit of money put away for vet bills then don't let foxs spoil your idea. :)

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 14:25 »
We know we're not totally fox-proof, although we take practical precautions, but it's a risk we've decided to take.

The coop you've bought will do well enough, but the run is too small if you intend to keep hens in there all day.

Why not take a look at photos of other peoples' set-ups and see if you can pick up any ideas from there?
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

hills999

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 19:59 »
Thanks for all your replies it was gratifying to know that others understand my concerns.  I have decided to enclose the coop in a much larger mesh enclosure.
My thoughts are to lay the wire under the coop, and round the outside and enclose it over the roof.
If i place it next to my shed it will give a wind break in winter and one side more secure as the conctete foundations are deep. I also have a large amount of heavy rockery stones to put round the base, hopefully to make it harder for fox's to dig.

Digging down a foot on the remaining sides should be enough but can anyone tell me the best strength i can get i have seen 1/2 inch but don't know if galvanised is the best to get.

One other thing is how i can make sure the top is secure surely just the weight of a fox landing on it would be enough to dislodge it??

I am glad i have a couple of months to prepare before buying the hens to ensure they are safe.

Many thanks to everyone who has helped me all further advise is really welcome.

H

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 19:31 »
People recommend weldmesh ... and Hills of Devon is probably the best place to get it.

karlooben

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 06:25 »
if u want to build your own run then try asking around at any local builders mechants for scrap wood like 2'2s or any other size by law if the wood is cracked or bowed they can not sell it so it goes to the rubbish dump some may give u it for free { mine do } the weld mesh is pretty cheap on ebay  and u can always pick up cheap 6'4 sheds , u mention your a single woman well so am i and i managed to build a 10 m by 6 m run with very little help but if u want to get chickens then you will have to pay out at least for a solid secure run an house but that would really only be the main cost of keeping them ,in total my run must of cost me about £350
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 14:47 »
A lot of us have these coops (including me) and personally I think they're rubbish. Within 6 months the doors have warped and won't open unless you take a hammer to them. the wood has rotted where the hinges are so no screws will stay in, and the run is definately not big enough for even my 3 bantams. I wish I'd bought a small shed and put some boxes in for nesting, you'll need to build a bigger run anyway. Good luck with your chooks.

xx
Protecting Chickens from Foxes.

Started by Clodbuster on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 06, 2008, 18:23
by poultrygeist
xx
Chickens hen house & Foxes

Started by Dopey113 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 19:02
by Raven81
xx
Help! Please! fox got one of my chickens and now more foxes are in my garden

Started by Gemjt on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post January 21, 2012, 21:46
by Aunt Sally
xx
Will our school chickens be safe?

Started by Reflection on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 10:17
by Sassy

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 36 queries.