Will our school chickens be safe?

• 16 Replies

ehs284

Re: Will our school chickens be safe?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 10:54 »
Lots of variations on electric fences. Majority use a 12V battery. New deep cycle are best but very expensive and not essential. We use a small sealed motorcycle battery with a cheap solar cell and it's worked well for about 4 years.
They are to keep out predators like foxes; if your birds are good fliers they may may get over it. You need to make sure that they don't have raised launch pads such as the coop, feed box etc. because if they use this route out they may not be able get back in.

I think it may be illegal to use one to keep the children under control, but if you do try it, please put it on Youtube as thousands of teachers would love to see it.

Sassy

Re: Will our school chickens be safe?
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 10:17 »
Love it EHS> When you say the chickens are in a quad, are they totally surrounded by buildings? The only way in being through a building? If so I think you would be very unlucky to get a fox attack, the fox in the corridor really was chancing his arm and may have been a one off. A fox would be very reluctant to jump 20 feet straight down!

I'm not sure about your risk assessment using the fence around children in what seems to be a relatively confined area. Although it will make them squeal it should not do damage but if you had a child with a heart problem/pacemaker etc it is not ideal. Sorry to be negative but I know this is a difficult area for you.

Ideally they will be better left where they are for the holidays rather than being moved which will stress them and may stop them laying. :)

I hope you are able to satisfy yourself that they are safe whatever you decide to do and have a wonderful holiday. :) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Safe plants for chickens?

Started by shiatsusu on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 14:48
by Ruby Red
xx
is tea tree oil safe to use on chickens?

Started by Bubbles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 09:08
by Bubbles
xx
Newbie to chickens not sure if they will be safe from foxes.

Started by hills999 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 08:52
by Sassy
xx
whats safe to feed chickens

Started by JMF on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 20:47
by Flossie

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 38 queries.