Pox advice & opinions required!!

• 3 Replies

redmolly

• Experienced Member
Pox advice & opinions required!!
« on: October 25, 2009, 20:34 »
Ok - so I think one of my hens has pox!!  Poor Hilda!! :( :(

She's been running around with the other 7 for a week, whilst I've been trying to discover what the white spots on her were!!  :ohmy:

White spots are now black scabs!!  :ohmy:

On the plus side, she's not depressed, is laying everyday, is eating well and seems as happy as normal!!  :)

So after discovering about pox - it seems this is what it is - "dry pox" to be more precise. So, I put her in isolation.....she made pitiful noises at bedtime, went indoors and carried on for another hour - clearly didn't like being alone!!  :( :(
Not wanting her to get too distressed and get something else wrong with her I went and fetched my biggest healthiest girl Gladys and put her in with her. Peace!!

Anyway - I'm thinking, she's had it for a week, the others are either about to have or won't have it at all. So, my plan at the mo - is to salt water her scabs tomorrow, leave her in most of the day to "dry out" and let her go back to the others and take my chances on it going thru the lot??? At least they will have had it then and be immune!

I just wondered what others thought about this plan??? They are all fit and well otherwise. However - 4 of them are only 13 weeks old.......

Any other advice\opinions greatly appreciated!

How is it spread apart from Mozzi bites??? I'm not that clued up on it I'm afraid!!!   :unsure:

redmolly

• Experienced Member
Re: Pox advice & opinions required!!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 20:42 »
Sorry Foxy......I never seem to put my posts in the right place!!  :lol:

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 20:53 »
Sorry Foxy......I never seem to put my posts in the right place!!  :lol:

hmmmmm! :lol:

Actually re: your post, dry pox is quite rare in the UK, although the virus can live for many months there is no real treatment. It is spread through infected dander from other birds, usually in close confinement.
Is there any bullying? Fighting? Sometimes chicken wire can cause injuries resembling dry pox. :)

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 21:03 »
Oooh - fingers crossed she has something random then!!  :) :)

As for infected dander from other birds.......the young ones were hatched from eggs, I've not bought anything in. They have visits from other birds in the garden??? Also the neighbour has pigeons which he races......although if he spotted that on his pigeons I think he would more than likely let me know.

There is certainly no bullying of Hilda - that I am completely sure of!! LOL!! There's barely any fighting here either and any squeals are normally the result of her seeing another off from food!! There is no chicken wire in the garden either???   :wacko: :wacko:

How do they get infected dander? Could one of the hatchlings be carrying it??????  :wacko:

xx
Opinions/advice on new coop, please

Started by Chickenstreet on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post November 18, 2007, 19:54
by Chickenstreet
xx
Feeling sorry for herself, advice required

Started by rcandy2001 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 14:52
by Hengist
xx
Some advice on auto sexing required?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2012, 20:41
by darkbrowneggs
xx
My first broody experience, advice required please!

Started by Chablis Dog on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 16:54
by Chablis Dog

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 37 queries.