Is this potentually internal laying?

• 12 Replies

woodbwoodman

Is this potentually internal laying?
« on: June 10, 2012, 15:05 »
 :unsure:
We have had our 3 chickens for about 3 months now, in a very large enclosed pen. The ISA and Blackrock have been laying most days since we got them, but the Bluebelle has stopped. All were sold as POL, though the Bluebelle  was considerably bigger than the other 2 (still is by far the biggest hen, but then she is dual-purpose). She always laid very large eggs, including 2 double yolkers at 110g!! Then she just stopped laying, about 3 weeks ago. She still sits in the nest box for about an hour each day, and then comes out 'crowing', but no eggs. She seems healthy and is eating well. She does have a very heavy abdomen, but stands normally. I have read a bit about internal laying, I wondered if it could be that, but it seems she would be standing like a penguin if that was what was wrong? Any ideas?

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Is this potentually internal laying?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 20:30 »
Our Black rock did this for a few days, very pleased with herself when she came out. But she seemed fine and is now laying normally.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 13:43 »
Unfortunately it does sound like internal laying :(  the big squishy abdomen is one of the indicators.  They can look and act otherwise normally, including fly.

The internal laying (and they don't lay fully formed eggs, it is just the yolk) unfortunately can't be prevented, unless you get a contraceptive rod inserted into your hen, which of course means no eggs at all.

For the most part internal laying occurs occasionally, and doesn't effect the hen at all.  This is the sterile phase.  If it occurs for a short time, the yolk may be reabsorbed eventually, but this takes a very long time, and more likely, they will become infected, and then you have septic EYP.  At this point the hen is very ill, and will go downhill rapidly.

I had one hen who hay EPY/layed internally, and she was perfectly happy, and layed the most gorgeous  eggs three or four times a week.  But she did have an enormous squishy abdomen, and I knew that her time was limited.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 20:27 »
If not squishy, have you been giving them corn and she has overeaten.

sizer247

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 20:37 »
Are you sure this bird is pol as I've always been told laying double yokers is a sign of old age

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 20:48 »
Are you sure this bird is pol as I've always been told laying double yokers is a sign of old age

All three of our pol chooks laid double yolkers when they first started.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 21:05 »
I also got double yolkers off my Bovan Goldlines when they first started to lay so it is probably young and elderly that lay them.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:39 »
They can lay double yolkers when first laying and getting the hang of things. Than again when they are getting older and about to stop laying. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 09:12 »
you can also get hens who lay double and even triple yolkers all the way through but only lay every 3-4 days  :). Sadly multiple yolk eggs tend to be a lot bigger and as such aren't really very good for the hen even if we like them for our breakfast fry-up.
Staffies are softer than you think.

woodbwoodman

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 18:31 »
Thanks for the inputs everyone!

Yes, she is getting 'corn' - its mostly wheat with a bit of corn; but she stopped laying prior to getting this. And they only get 2g per day of the corn, in the afternoon.

I did wonder if she might have some internal damage; she is a big bird, but she roosts on top of the house (which is inside the run) about 1 metre off the ground. She comes down with a bit of a thump.

I am now wondering if she could be moulting. She is losing some feathers- not many - and now has a bare patch on her breast. But this doesnt seem to be the right time of year?

She is still alert and acting normal, though she does seem to be a bit more picky (literally, she is just picking at her food) than the  other two when treats like a big clump of weeds or a bowl of slugs arrive...

I guess I'll just have to wait it out and see.

grinling

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 20:14 »
They can moult now as well as winter time.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 21:00 »
My 2 Bovan goldlines are molting now.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 06:27 »
My chicken has tumours related to her reproductive organs.  Her fellow ex-batt died recently and a post mortem showed backed up partformed eggs.  This post has been very helpful as I wasn't aware of internal laying.

The remaining hen (with the tumours) goes back in the coop everyday at about 8am for an hour.  She just sits calmly, so I thought she was having a rest.  Might she be internal laying?  Is there anything I should be doing?  For example, the rods?  Is it mainly risk of infection that's the problem.

I can't imagine she has too long left, but I'd like to know what to look for.

xx
Chicken Coop Internal Space

Started by D on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 20:16
by D
xx
internal layout of chicken house.

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 19:10
by animal mad
xx
ivermectin eprinex - internal & external parasite killer

Started by rainie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 15:26
by Aunt Sally
xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 36 queries.