My hens have the runs, could this be worms or to many treats??

• 6 Replies

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
My hen's all have the runs, the large sussex has for about a week now the others have started...
Gladys the wee sussex bantam has lice as well as her other problem's Respitery, broody etc, so all the girls have been powdered down could this be what is giving them the runs or could it be worms???
I have only had them 5 weeks they do free range but i thought they would be to young to get worms so soon...
maybe i feed them to many treats, how much is to much?
I give them a slice of bread between 4 of them late morning (only the best) they get linden brown bread which is packed with seeds and late afternoon the have a handful of sunflower seeds for them to scratch around for is this to many treats, im unsure of what other people give.
They are all good layers and have never missed a day apart from my little girl who has been sick.
any advice will be recieved with thanks...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:36 by Pixieswift »

Helenaj

Welcome to the mad world of chicken keeping!

Are you sure they have the runs as hens produce runny poos as well - have a look at the poo pictures on here (in the Poultry FAQs site). If you think it is diarrhoea stop the treats for now until you can eliminate what the cause is - it might very well be the treats giving them the runs. Worm them anyway as they can pick up worms from anywhere, regardless of them being free range or young. Flubenvet is the best thing to use and there is no egg withdrawal.
Even after you know what may have been the cause, it's best if you cut out the treats in the morning - it fills them up and stops them eating their pellets, which they really need to get the correct vitamins and minerals.
You can always post a picture of the poo on here - I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Let us know how you get on.

Sassy

I agree with Helenaj. Just feed them layers for now, worm them and see what happens. If you aren't getting any firm poos at all try feeding a little natural yoghurt with a pre/probiotic in, available from the supermarket. This should 'reset' their digestive systems :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
Thanks a million guy's, i tried the yougart and they turned there noses up at it, they are so fussy my girls, they wont eat any vegtables, greens etc the only thing they LOVE are chopped nut (hazelnuts only) sunflower seeds and FRESH corn but not on the cob how wierd you would have thought they would have loved to play with the cob, they just look at me as if to say 'Well are you not going to pick the corn off and hand feed us'...
And they LOVE fresh worms, and linden seeded bread.
There poo today was harder with lots of white coating i think this is there pee, or so i read, the ranger has a little bit of a runny bum still, hopefully this will clear.
My gladys is still broody keep lifting her out of nest box but she insists on going back in she looks so sorry for herself.
I lifted her out and she stayed to watch the show off me washing the sussex bum to get rid of the hard poo, i think she enjoyed that as she is bottom of the pecking order and sussex at the top so she enjoyed seeing the boss get told what to do,. The good news is sussex bum is back to being lovely and fluffy and she looks very happy.
The treats i am stoping on a morning and only giving on an afternoon, do other people gave there hens treats daily im worried it's to much, but i love there little faces when they know it's treat time, oh i'm so in love with them.
Many thanks :)

cat jones

Thanks a million guy's, i tried the yougart and they turned there noses up at it, they are so fussy my girls, they wont eat any vegtables, greens etc the only thing they LOVE are chopped nut (hazelnuts only) sunflower seeds and FRESH corn but not on the cob how wierd you would have thought they would have loved to play with the cob, they just look at me as if to say 'Well are you not going to pick the corn off and hand feed us'...
And they LOVE fresh worms, and linden seeded bread.
There poo today was harder with lots of white coating i think this is there pee, or so i read, the ranger has a little bit of a runny bum still, hopefully this will clear.
My gladys is still broody keep lifting her out of nest box but she insists on going back in she looks so sorry for herself.
I lifted her out and she stayed to watch the show off me washing the sussex bum to get rid of the hard poo, i think she enjoyed that as she is bottom of the pecking order and sussex at the top so she enjoyed seeing the boss get told what to do,. The good news is sussex bum is back to being lovely and fluffy and she looks very happy.
The treats i am stoping on a morning and only giving on an afternoon, do other people gave there hens treats daily im worried it's to much, but i love there little faces when they know it's treat time, oh i'm so in love with them.
Many thanks :)

Beano

It could have been the heat, because they drink an awfull lot of water these days which will naturally affect the consistency of their poo. I would certainly cut down on the treats though.
El.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
They really have everything they need in their layers pellets, they have been scientifically blended for them.  It is like giving children sweets, they don't need them and it can be bad for them.  They will probably start acting like naughty children when they don't get their own way and will stop eating the layers pellets.   :lol:  You will have to let them know who is boss Pixieswift.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Worms in heap -good , worms in hens - bad.

Started by 8doubles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 08:37
by ehs284
cheesy
treats for hens

Started by JORGE on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 14:49
by joyfull
xx
Treats for hens.

Started by joyfull on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 14:39
by joyfull
xx
hens love grapes.... what other treats?

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 06:39
by symonep

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 38 queries.