Buying poultry.. a gentle warning.

• 2 Replies

orchardlady

Buying poultry.. a gentle warning.
« on: September 17, 2010, 17:22 »
I bought 3 Aylesbury ducklings at about 4 weeks old and have loved having them with me. They have been a welcome addition and interest to hen keeping. They were only a couple of £'s each and I was allowed to take my pick of a nice little run of ducklings. Yes you've guessed it they are all boys. Hey ho never mind.

Now why I didn't think of it before I don't know...a very trusting nature I think is the probable answer.

Why would they all be boys?...Probably because they had been sexed professionally when they were little and sold on. My supplier probably knew this. On talking to another local poultry supplier he agreed. They saw me coming. Be warned folks. Don't buy chicks and ducklings unless you are really sure of either their sex and or your supplier. :blush:

PaulineM

Re: Buying poultry.. a gentle warning.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 20:20 »
Wow, I was thinking there what bad luck you had  ::)
Gullible or what, it didn't even cross my mind that they were all boys  :nowink:
Thanks for the advice, I would definitely fall for something like that!  ;)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
Re: Buying poultry.. a gentle warning.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 12:32 »
By 4 weeks you should be able to sex them yourself by their voices, although by 6 weeks is a bit easier. If you grab them and pick them up (so as to alarm them a bit) then the females will emit a proper "quack" noise but the boys will make a raspy hoarse noise like they have a sore throat.

Ducklings can also be vent sexed in the first few days after hatch. It is where you expose the little widger! there is a definite knack to doing it right, and not harming them. I tried to do this but didn't manage to know for certain. There is a youtube video by Metzer farms that shows you exactly how to do it. Search Metzer vent sexing if you want to find it.

Just 2 ways to try and avoid being duped (or unlucky). Nothing is failsafe though.

A third way is to buy them ready-sexed from a breeder or large supplier. I always feel a bit sad about this as I know what happens to the baby boys since everyone wants the girls. But if they get it wrong they should replace any boys you get accidentally.

xx
buying poultry things from ebay

Started by emotion-2003 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 16, 2012, 22:07
by 4chooks
xx
Buying poultry in the North West

Started by greenasgrass on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 12:32
by tosca100
xx
Poultry Spice, Poultry Zest, Garlic, Apple Vinegar, Verm-X, Liquid Tonic etcc

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:28
by Kenilworth
xx
please help im buying to day help

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 10:33
by alotment shed

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 38 queries.