Lean to Greenhouse

• 5 Replies

gruline

Lean to Greenhouse
« on: May 25, 2009, 16:11 »
Hello,
I would like some advice please as to the depth of foundations required for a lean to greenhouse.
We live on an island off the west coast of Scotland where the winds can be ferocious.
I am considering a greenhouse approx. 10ft. x 8' (sorry can't do metric and would appreciate any replies in feet and inches please!!)
We have a beech hedge and I would like the wall to be built  in front of this facing south.
We have some brieze blocks, may need to buy more, but will the blocks be substantial enough?  How high should the wall be?
Any further advice regarding a lean to greenhouse would also be very much appreciated.
Many thanks
Angela

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Lean to Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 16:19 »
Hi Angela and welcome to the forums

I'll pop this over to the Design and Construction part of the site, feel free to pop back into the to Welcome section for a proper hello if you wish  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 16:31 »
Any chance of a picture of where the greenhouse is going to live, I also live on an island (A bit further north than you), so know all about winds, but it would very much depend on how sheltered your garden is?

Bob

gruline

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 17:04 »
Dear Bob,
Thanks for your very quick reply.
A photograph I don't think would be off much use as the ground will be totally altered, we have a man coming in with his digger to dig out for foundations.   Therefore, it will be a flat piece of ground with a beech hedge on it and no shelter at all from the prevailing winds whatsoever.
Does this help?
Thanks again
Angela

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 19:35 »
Off to the mainland (Orkney mainland that is so only a two hour boat trip) tomorrow so am a bit busy, will try and help a bit more Wednesday.

The bottom line with wind is build strong and fix it twice, any short cuts will be exposed by the wind.

If it is a lean to it must be leaning on something like your house, make sure it is bolted in well, you want a wall / footings to fix to, other than that you want as much glass/plastic as possible for light

But it can't be that windy if you have a Beech hedge can it, would love to be able to have a Beech or any tree for that matter  ::)

Bob

gruline

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 17:39 »
Dear Bob,
Thanks for the information regarding securing the greenhouse.   We had 114 mile an hour gales which blew the conservatory away across the garden, a few years ago, normally we have between 60 - 100 mile an hour winds.   The beech hedge has survived, alas the shed which is alongside where I want to put the greenhouse in the last 100 mile an hour wind moved about 18", and we are waiting for lifting equipment to put it in place again.
I've got quite a lot of information now and will let you know how I progress.
Thanks again
Angela

xx
Lean to greenhouse

Started by dobo on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 17:01
by Stree
xx
Lean to Greenhouse

Started by digital_biscuit on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2007, 15:33
by digital_biscuit
xx
Lean To Greenhouse

Started by hubballi on Design and Construction

16 Replies
Last post January 13, 2011, 15:47
by Paul Plots
xx
Building a lean-to greenhouse

Started by celjaci on Design and Construction

74 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 21:09
by Stree

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 35 queries.