Vehicle Information - DVLA lookalike...

• 11 Replies

Growster...

Vehicle Information - DVLA lookalike...
« on: September 18, 2023, 12:31 »
I've been caught out by clicking on an online website which is a dead ringer for the DVLA site!

I wanted to pay for the forthcoming year, and didn't realise that the tax hadn't been paid until early today, when I checked my statement! There, under an unusual name - Vehicle Information -  was a charge of 50p, then a debit of £7.95 which was going to be due again every month!

I've been onto my bank, and it seems that they get several of these queries about this firm every day, and unfortunately there's no comeback, as I'm supposed to have read the Ts and Cs!

It is not 'officially' as a 'scam', the bank chap was very sympathetic and he agreed it was sharp practice as a private citizen, and not wearing his bank's hat, but it's not criminal and they can do nothing about it! The Vehicle Information people won't ever reply to emails or messages, so it's bite the bullet time and accept the loss of around eight quid. It all came about when I'd received a new bank card, and I was changing the account numbers for everything, but I was really taken in this time!

There's no fool like an old fool, so I'll put it down to experience, but my advice to friends here is to carefully check the address if you renew online! Of course, I've put a stop on any future payments.

Lardman

Re: Vehicle Information - DVLA lookalike...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 14:07 »
So easily done. Especially when they pay for online adverts which put them higher in the search results than the official websites.  How long has it been since you signed up?  Anything less than 14 days can be cancelled under the cooling off period.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 17:10 »
So easily done. Especially when they pay for online adverts which put them higher in the search results than the official websites.  How long has it been since you signed up?  Anything less than 14 days can be cancelled under the cooling off period.

Last week, Lards - the 13th and the 14th for the payments, so I can stop any future scamming payments!

I can go online and cancel the 'agreement' as I have a password etc!

I''ve instructed my bank to cancel any of my future debits to them!

It really is a con, and while I'm so furious at being caught out, I've still got a few more tricks up my sleeve...

The banks recommend writing to my MP, which would be an utter waste of time, but I will add that to the to-do list!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 17:12 by Growster... »

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 08:46 »
Oh Growster. Don't beat yourself up too much. It can be so easily done especially if the website search appears high up the search list. As they say, it could have been a lot worse.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023, 13:28 »
There should be an easy solution to these problems.
Just pass a law making “lookalike” websites of official sites illegal with heavy fines for the company and the owner of the search engine involved.
Keep digging

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 16:51 »
Another one to beware of - a BBC journalist got a £119 phone bill for a 39 minute call after ringing HMRC via a call connection company.  :ohmy: :ohmy:

Believe it or not, such exorbitant charges are not actually illegal.  ::)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66529264
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 18:35 »
Hey now, email today from 'Customer Service' - read this...

"I wish to inform you that your account has now been cancelled. Rest assured that you will no longer receive further messages or charges from us.

Also, a refund of £7.95 was processed today and will take 5 - 10 business days to complete.

Lastly, please provide a screenshot/copy and paste the description on your bank statement relating to this charge received. You will find this description text next to your payment on your account. This is needed for improvements to the service, and your assistance is appreciated."

So what do you make of this then!

Screenshots on my statement? Next time - further scams from the rest of the scum out there?

I actually do a smart 'screenshot' with these knarled fingers, so this could be fun...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2023, 18:42 »
The amount of bunk out there that can trip up consumers can be overwhelming.

At work we must participate in frequent cybersecurity training.  It has been helpful.
At work, we use a series of cybersecurity online videos with quizzes that my employer pays for. 

There are FREE cybersecurity training options out there.  Try Googling "free cybersecurity training".  There are options available from Google, also Coursera, that are free of charge.

Just to pass along some tips (not a comprehensive list, but a good start):

1.  If you get a text or e-mail that you are not expecting, don't immediately follow links, use phone numbers or other contact information provided in that message.  Even if the sender is someone you do business with.  Instead, if the business is known to you, use information that you currently have to inquire whether the message is legitimate (example, if the message is from your phone provider, contact them through information on your recent bill, or a saved phone number or bookmarked website that you trust).

2.  Sometimes a link in an e-mail or text message that appears to be valid is in fact fake.  Use your computer mouse cursor to hover over links or e-mail addresses; this will often reveal if the link goes to to somewhere suspicious.  When in doubt, don't click.

3. Treat any message asking for payment as suspicious, if you are not expecting such a message. Even then, you are better off making payments through an already trusted method (routine billing for example, or use trusted contact information to get in touch with the business requesting payment). 

4. The same applies for contacts indicating that you have won something, or a package is waiting for you, etc., if you are not expecting this type of contact.

5. Be especially wary of e-mails, telephone calls, texts, or regular mail, demanding immediate payment or threatening a risk to you (termination of services, etc.).  These high-pressure tactics are often used in scams. Again, contact the business (if you deal with them) using trusted information.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 18:53 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 18:59 »
Hey now, email today from 'Customer Service' - read this...

"I wish to inform you that your account has now been cancelled. Rest assured that you will no longer receive further messages or charges from us.

Also, a refund of £7.95 was processed today and will take 5 - 10 business days to complete.

Lastly, please provide a screenshot/copy and paste the description on your bank statement relating to this charge received. You will find this description text next to your payment on your account. This is needed for improvements to the service, and your assistance is appreciated."

So what do you make of this then!

Screenshots on my statement? Next time - further scams from the rest of the scum out there?

I actually do a smart 'screenshot' with these knarled fingers, so this could be fun...

My immediate reaction is RUN IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION!

But, did that allegedly come from your bank, or the place that billed you?

If it came from the bank, respond only in person, or through trusted contact information.  To me it sounds like a scammer going in for another bite of the apple. Your bank should never need a screenshot of your banking information.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 20:15 »
There should be an easy solution to these problems.
Just pass a law making “lookalike” websites of official sites illegal with heavy fines for the company and the owner of the search engine involved.

Unfortunately such look-alike sites are often hosted and operated in countries not under UK jurisdiction. They are often in lawless places, such as Russia or North Korea. Sometimes with the blessing of the host country.

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 21:15 »
Well done on getting that sorted.  I imagine it's not so much the cash but the face you didn't catch it that is the annoying factor.

.. screenshot/copy and paste the description on your bank statement relating to this charge received. You will find this description text next to your payment on your account.

I read that as they want the payment reference rather than anything else. Perhaps to monitor which sales team caused the problem rather than anything nefarious. Once the refunds have been sorted I wouldn't be having any further contact with them though  - it's no benefit to you.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2023, 06:52 »
Waiting to see what happens in a few days!

There's no rush!

xx
unwanted information

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post February 12, 2019, 12:43
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 49 queries.