New Chicken keeper - advice please

• 8 Replies

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
New Chicken keeper - advice please
« on: January 22, 2013, 18:43 »
Hi I have never kept chickens before but I am planning to introduce some to part of my allotment plot in a sort of mini agroforestry arrangement

They will have approx 35 square metres which I plan to fence off, in this space there are 4 guarded fruit trees and a hedge of soft fruit and shrubs

Advice please on dual purpose varieties, how many hens are suitable for the space, best methods of fencing and any other help for a novice chicken keeper   ???

Thanks, James

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: New Chicken keeper - advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 20:43 »
Hi James and welcome.  You could have around 12 hens in the space you have.  They will need shady areas in the summer (if we ever get one).  The hens will help themselves to your fruit and anything else that is growing in the area.  If it is well drained soil that is better for our wet climate.  Fencing would depend on what predators/theives you want to keep out.  Electric fencing is good but if you don't have a supply you would need a leisure battery.  When the hens are young they can still fly over the fencing though.

Light Sussex, Buff Sussex, Rhode Island Red, Marans, Wyandottes are all classed as dual purpose birds.

Please read as much as you can about keeping chickens, their ailments, pests, lice, worms etc.  Find a poultry friendly vet before you need one as they can be hard to find.

Consider your housing and storage of food carefully and how you will deter rodents.  Who will look after them when you are away on holiday or ill.

Don't let this starter list put you off, they are more than worth it in the long run.  If you are wanting meat birds you can find courses on culling which is also handy if you have a sick bird you need to cull.

Good luck and ask as many questions as you need.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 21:42 »
Thanks for the reply. Wow 12 I was expecting maybe 6 tops

I have done a bit of reading, one answer I haven't come across though is whether it's ok to keep different varieties together?

With regard to fencing - chance of thieves is almost zero. Predators I'm not sure of, it's on the edge of a fairly built up area. There is a plot 2 away from mine that currently has a chicken run with approx 4 foot fence. I was thinking of a wire stock fence but unsure of sizes

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 22:03 »
They recommend around 3 metres squared per bird.  If you are only wanting 6 that would be better for the ground if it is not free draining.  You could of course have 6 birds for eggs and 6 meat birds which you can keep in a smaller area as they would put on more weight quicker.  They of course wouldn't be there for that long and you can raise new ones as and when you need them.

Different breeds are fine together if introduced properly or all at the same time.  They will establish their own pecking order which usually looks worse than it actually is.

If you are raising your meat birds from chicks you would need fairly small holes in the fencing as they are masters of escapology!   ::) :lol:  You can have smaller holes at the bottom and larger ones higher up though.

Best to ask the other poultry keeper about problems with predators and how long they have kept them.  You might need to check that you are allowed poultry and how many.  Just because someone else has them doesn't mean that they have permission.  It would be an expensive exercise if you bought everything only to find out you are not allowed to keep them.

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 22:29 »
Yes I am allowed up to 8 hens, it is in my tenancy agreement.

I was thinking of getting some point of lay birds and/or possibly even some ex battery birds so chicks are unlikely

I have already acquired a 3ft x 3ft house, how many hens would it sleep comfortably? I've seen somewhere that each bird needs a square foot, is this correct?

jhub

• jane
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 22:58 »
Hi James,
You might want to have a basic first aid kit. There's plenty of advice on this site if you use the search facility.
Good luck- it's addictive, be warned.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 08:24 »
If you do decide to have birds for eggs and birds for meat they do have different requirements re food :)

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Willow_Warren

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 08:35 »
If you are allowed a maximum of 8 and want them for egg laying my advise would be to buy them gradually, as each year they will lay fewer and fewer eggs (although this might be less of a problem with hybrids as opposed to pures).

I got 3 chickens initially (although my set up was large enough for 7), then after a couple of years I got another 2 making 5 (as the first ones egg laying had decreased).

Good luck with what ever you decide...

Hannah :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 09:29 »
I had 6 in a hen house about the same size.  Not sure if it would take any more.  Some of the breeds are really large so you would have to take that into account.  An average for perching space is 15 cms (6") per chicken.

xx
first time chicken keeper, needs some advice

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 08, 2011, 17:55
by ANHBUC
xx
New Chicken Keeper.......I Need a bit of Advice please....on broken eggs!!

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 10:53
by Tony H
xx
Help for a new chicken keeper please

Started by What Allot on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 21:18
by nzdunn
xx
New Chicken Keeper

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 13:41
by woodburner

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 35 queries.