Onion's and Shallot's

• 2 Replies

KT

• Experienced Member
Onion's and Shallot's
« on: July 20, 2009, 12:59 »
Ok i know your suppost to know these are ready when the top's fall over,

Unfortunatly i have a very strange cat who likes to roll on my onion beds meaning the tops have been squashed down for quite some time.

Now it doens't seem to have affected the growth of the onion's any and my shallots seem to have split into at least 6-7 bits despite the cat's best attempts at squishing them.

They where all planted out in about april in set's any idea when i should pull them? i've had a feel of the tops of the onions and they still seem firm does that mean i leave them abit longer?

paintedlady

Re: Onion's and Shallot's
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 13:58 »
In a perfect growing season, no white onion rot on site and no heavy rains & soggy soil to make it complicated, I would go for when the leaves fall over and are slowly drying off.  For April planting, I'd be looking about mid-late August to harvest them thereabouts.

At a guess I'd say your shallots are probably ready for lifting anyway (the leaves must surely have collapsed and be yellowing now?  It won't be too long)  If the onion leaves are still green & firm, perhaps leave them a bit longer but in the meantime you can always harvest one fresh at a time to use if you wanted to try them out.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

KT

• Experienced Member
Re: Onion's and Shallot's
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 14:47 »
The shallot leaves still seem reasonably green tbh, if i pull them do i dry them out in the same way as you do for onions? on a rack?? also how do you protect them from getting rained on i guess covering with poly is just going to keep the moisture in?

xx
onion's / shallot's

Started by clive f on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2008, 22:57
by cooperman
xx
onion and shallot sets

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 15:54
by barney rubble
xx
Onion and Shallot Leaves

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 17:53
by mumofstig
xx
Onion/Shallot dilemma

Started by Wild Pony on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 20:55
by Elcie

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 38 queries.