I hope it does what it says on the tin!

• 39 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: I hope it does what it says on the tin!
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2015, 13:45 »
Yes, but you'd be working for nothing, hence I couldn't possibly condone it :D

beesrus

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2015, 13:57 »
Well, thanks for that information Kristen, very helpful.. I never really thought of the cutting thing from an F1 that would grow true that same year, and quick enough to produce fruit. Never gave it a thought.

Should work quite well with an early purchased Floridity F1 plant for 99p when I see one, as such varieties have a long fruiting period, almost through to December in a good year.

Growster...

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2015, 19:18 »
Armpit cuttings are so new to me, I've never really got as far as watching one grow, although I did get one away last year, and far too late...

Naaaah, I think I'll just stick to what I know, and not get too bothered about too many new-fangled ideas, rather like all the old boys I used to meet down on the Patch all those years ago, and grew huge, lusty vegetables!

Old fashioned - me?

Anton

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 13:49 »
Hullo fellow gardeners (Happy New Year to you all).

I read about those crimson crush tomatoes that are supposedly 100% blight-resistant. They are avaiable for order right now. I looked on the site (Sutton seeds) I think that are selling them as plant  "plugs" (I know what they mean but I had never had of them term before). Apparently, they only send "plug"  by post to addresses within the UK. Never mind, I thought I can buy they seeds. Another blank. They will not be available until the autumn.
So my question is if I get my sister in England to order the "plugs" and send them out to me here in Belgium are they likely to survive the journey (they would take a week to reach me, I imagine)?

Failing that, has anybody heard anything about Tomato Seeds - F1 Lizzano, which BangorUniversity claimed were the most blight-resistant species hitherto?  Moreover, what does F1 mean?

Anton

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 14:08 »
It's anyone's guess whether they would survive the journey, especially as you don't know yet how warm the weather will be, and exactly how long they might take to arrive - if your sister is willing you could get her to at least water them and possibly improve the packaging if necessary.

Don't know anything about Lizzano, but like all F1's they will be the first generation of seeds from 2 very carefully selected parents, and as such have to be considered a one-off (i.e. not suitable for seed-saving the following year because they will produce plants with different characteristics which are impossible to predict in advance.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 14:32 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2015, 15:35 »
Perhaps need to check you are allowed to import plants.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2015, 15:41 »
Perhaps need to check you are allowed to import plants.
Should not be a problem within EU (with some exceptions, such as Ash due to Ash-die-back disease)

like all F1's they will be the first generation of seeds from 2 very carefully selected parents, and as such have to be considered a one-off (i.e. not suitable for seed-saving the following year because they will produce plants with different characteristics which are impossible to predict in advance.)

I think the issue here is that Suttons are selling plants this year, and have said they will market seed from this Autumn - so no seed available this Spring.  presumably to recoup some of their development cost, or because seed supply is small and can get more added-value by growing them as plants.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 16:29 »
like all F1's they will be the first generation of seeds from 2 very carefully selected parents, and as such have to be considered a one-off (i.e. not suitable for seed-saving the following year because they will produce plants with different characteristics which are impossible to predict in advance.)

I think the issue here is that Suttons are selling plants this year, and have said they will market seed from this Autumn - so no seed available this Spring.  presumably to recoup some of their development cost, or because seed supply is small and can get more added-value by growing them as plants.

Kristen: The above quote was referring to the Lazzano seeds (until you edited it out! ::)) rather than Sutton's Crimson Crush - we probably won't know whether they are F1 seeds or not until they go on sale, although I wouldn't bet against them being just that!  ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2015, 09:41 »
The above quote was referring to the Lazzano seeds (until you edited it out! ::)) rather than Sutton's Crimson Crush

So I see now I've re-read your original :) being dyslexic I'm inclined to make that sort of mistake, sorry about that :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2015, 09:53 »
No worries Kristen - I'm perfectly capable of making mistakes like that without being dyslexic!  ;)

xx
I really hope...

Started by SalJ1980 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 21:37
by SalJ1980
clip
Any hope for my Peach?

Started by VegGirl7 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 24, 2013, 15:03
by Trillium
xx
Is there hope for my tatties?

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 21:11
by gobs
xx
Watermelon in the UK. Any hope!?

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 09, 2015, 18:04
by Markw

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 39 queries.