• 39 Replies

Bing

• Experienced Member
I hope it does what it says on the tin!
« on: December 17, 2014, 12:22 »
Just read this and I should share it here,

Suttons Seeds launches 'blight resistant' tomato

9 December 2014, by Matthew Appleby, Be the first to comment   
'Crimson Crush' is new and excusive to Suttons Seeds for 2015 and is claimed to be the world's first fully blight resistant variety.

Crimson Crush has two resistance genes against blight - PH2 and PH3 genes - which make it resistant to all common blight strains in UK including "Pink 6" and "Blue 13", says Suttons, which is undergoing a management buy-out.

The variety is available from 9 January at £7.99 for three seedlings.

Breeder is Simon Crawford and Bangor University's James Stroud.
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: 'blight resistant' tomato
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 12:33 »
That's interesting. Not sure I would pay that premium without knowing how they taste. I might leave it a bit till others have tried and reviewed the flavour. It would be great to avoid the heartache of blight though.

Didn't know Suttons was also Carters and Dobies. Hope they can survive now they are out on their own.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 12:55 »
Yes, very interesting, although I suspect the price will raise a few eyebrows amongst those who like to think that growing their own is both satisfying and cost-effective.  ;)

This is what the Daily Mail says about it - hope the story is more accurate than some of their spelling ('Seedinlings' indeed!  :tongue2:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 13:28 »
Is it just "resistant" or actually "immune"?

Surely we already have loads of varieties of Tomato that are "resistant" ... if this is a breakthrough surely it must be something more than that?

(I've read "on two genes rather than just one" for example).

... those who like to think that growing their own is both satisfying and cost-effective.

Justifiable as cost-effective if the alternative is no crop, perhaps?

Do any of the grafted routes provide some measure of resistance to blight?

cadalot

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 13:52 »
A 19p packet of soluble Aspirin from Superdrug for me I think http://www.countryliving.co.uk/news/aspirin-treatment-for-tomato-blight. I'm sure a Moderator will be on the case informing us that European Law say we must not play with such non sanctioned things on the allotment or garden.

The Hitch Hackers Guide to the Galaxy that was discovered recently having fallen through a worm hole in time says The European Politicians that passed all these laws were the first ones placed up against a wall and shot when the revolution finally happened.     

Headgardener22

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 14:13 »
I think I'll wait for the seeds "next year". If it works, they'll be available. If it doesn't, they won't.

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 14:29 »
I never did see a review to those Tomatoes crossed with a potato they were banging on about this year

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 14:33 »
A 19p packet of soluble Aspirin from Superdrug for me I think http://www.countryliving.co.uk/news/aspirin-treatment-for-tomato-blight. I'm sure a Moderator will be on the case informing us that European Law say we must not play with such non sanctioned things on the allotment or garden.   
To be fair, we don't tell you that you mustn't - we tell you that it's illegal to do so -  as it's not licensed, in order to cover the forum.
What you do is always up to you, silly Billy  :lol:

LotuSeed

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 18:22 »
I never did see a review to those Tomatoes crossed with a potato they were banging on about this year

I was wondering how those turned out. When I first heard about them I thought the idea was completely ridiculous! Great idea to splice two plants together that are both susceptible to blight, which seems like a huge issue in the UK. Still can't understand the genius behind that one😯
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 18:23 »
My friend's Mum had one as a present. Lots of tomatoes, 2 spuds. She wasn't impressed.

Audy70

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 18:32 »

My friend bought a few; she said lovely tomatoes but very few potatoes.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 18:46 »
From Beechgrove factsheet No 24
( the pdf link doesn't seem to work, so you need to Google it, if you want to check, but I've copied the whole piece for you ; ) )

Carole also looked at the Tomtato, which is a grafted plant with tomatoes growing above ground and potatoes below.  Both tomatoes and potatoes are members of the Solanaceae family and are therefore naturally compatible. We had had a really good crop of tomatoes but when Carole lifted the plant there were only 2 potatoes.  At a cost of £15 per plant, Carole commented that she would sooner grow her tomatoes and potatoes separately.   

Kleftiwallah

Crimson Crush.
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 12:44 »

£7:99 a packet  AND  £4:99 p & p.  I think I'll wait and see if they come into the G/Cs nearer the time. :nowink:

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 12:53 »
I've merged your new thread with the existing one, Tony. And it's not £7.99 a packet, that's for three seedlings!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
I hope it does what it says on the tin!
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 19:28 »
Blightproof tomato - the
first truly immune variety, Crimson Crush
- the photo looks encouraging, we have to wait to 2016 to buy seed to try. Though plants will be available this year, according to this...........

http://blog.suttons.co.uk/vegetable-growing/crimson-crush-fully-blight-resistant-tomato/#more-5290

Fingers crossed!

xx
I really hope...

Started by SalJ1980 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 21:37
by SalJ1980
xx
any hope for my bean's.

Started by twissle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 07:07
by twissle
clip
I hope this is the right place

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 29, 2022, 08:08
by pepsi100
clip
Any hope for my Peach?

Started by VegGirl7 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 24, 2013, 15:03
by Trillium

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 40 queries.