cordless strimmers

• 9 Replies

vegypete

• Location: gravel lane alottments, hemel hempstead hertfordshire
cordless strimmers
« on: May 13, 2012, 23:08 »
hi ya :) i am looking to buy a cordless strimer for me paths down at the plot, does any one use one of these, any pointers to the best one for the job, petrol ones are to pricey at the mo, also me and pull cords dont get on i always seem to break them..............pete
if at first you don't suckseed try again

grendel

Re: cordless strimmers
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 23:51 »
I was thinking about one, but then I managed to get a standard cylinder push mower on freecycle for nowt, and with a little adjustment got it working nicely, so I will be using that for now.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

vegypete

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 00:10 »
hi ya grendel :) thats a good idea i expect you have the blade on a higher setting, so it can be pushed easier..........pete

grendel

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 00:40 »
yes for the first pass, then I drop the blade and do the second pass, considering I have maybe 60 foot of paths round the edge of the plot, its not too onerous a task to do by hand (I did it once with some shears).
Grendel

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 05:52 »
Pete, we bought a nice one from 'Grow(E)bay' for £60.00.

It was a 'factory return', brand new, and without instructions, but much cheaper than the 'new' original boxed version, and from a reputable supplier.

It is a Bosch, and it is recommended that you get a Lithium Ion battery, as this type tends to hold a charge better than cad cell ones. There are technical reasons for this.

I get 20 mins running time from our strimmer after a couple of hours charging, and can do all the paths and edges on a plot and a half (about 14 rod/420 s.y.gross) in between two and three sessions, and there are quite a few paths...

Any easy mowing is done with a Qualcast hand mower.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 19:19 by Growster... »

vegypete

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 22:35 »
hi ya :) the central path on my plot is 50 ft long, with 3 10ft paths dividing the beds, the grass was about 9 inches high when i got down there yesterday, i cut it all down with a ex army macheti, it took me a bit of time but the plot looks better for it..............pete

m1ckz

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 07:56 »
there are 2 guys on our allotment with them   they say 10 min max on 1 battery,,so i got a second user petrol ,,its great ,,there are plenty on ebay

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 18:50 »
Pete, we bought a nice one from 'Grow(E)bay' for £60.00.

It was a 'factory return', brand new, and without instructions, but much cheaper than the 'new' original boxed version, and from a reputable supplier.

It is a Bosch, and it is recommended that you get a Lithium Ion battery, as this type tends to hold a charge better than cad cell ones. There are technical reasons for this.

I get 20 mins running time from our strimmer after a couple of hours charging, and can do all the paths and edges on a plot and a half (about 14 rod/420 s.y.gross) in between two and three sessions, and there are quite a few paths...

Any easy mowing is done with a Qualcast hand mower.

Hope this helps!

Thats the strimmer I've got.
It does about 3/4 of the paths on my plot (mine is 5 square rods I think - it's labelled a half plot anyway). I then take the battery home, recharge it and finish off the next day.
Likewise I get about 20 mins running time.

ptarmigan

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 08:26 »
Hi

I got the Bosch one too - with a Lithium I-on battery.  After much thought and googling as I wasn't sure it would be beefy enought.  I get 20-25 minutes out of it.  Then finish off next day. Does the paths on my large allotment fine - tackles all the weeds but not big thistles.  I like the blades that come with it - easy and quick to replace.  It's light enough for feeble me to use it for 20 minutes - does the job - and is so quiet compared to a petrol strimmer. 

If you are tackling a huge strimming job you'd need a petrol one - but now my weedy overgrown plot is (mostly) under control - the cordless one if fantastic.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 09:45 »
You're right Ptarmigan - little and often is the idea here - I take the strimmer down there most days, and use it for 20 mins when I want a change of scenery!

xx
cordless strimmers

Started by gurtie on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 15:14
by Runwell-Steve
xx
cordless strimmers - are they a good buy?

Started by plum crumble on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post January 22, 2010, 05:40
by Gwiz
xx
cordless strimmer

Started by mandycharlie on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 11:42
by Bombers
xx
Cordless tiller

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 24, 2018, 07:46
by Digger the Dog

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 39 queries.