Causes of soft shelled eggs

• 4 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Causes of soft shelled eggs
« on: October 09, 2012, 13:13 »
Have been looking for a cause as one of my birds regularly lays softies.  Have tried all the remedies including limestone flour and they all have little to no effect.  Have found this as a possible cause on The poultry Club of GB website.

"Infectious Bronchitis
Infectious Bronchitis is a viral disease initially affecting the respiratory system in a young bird which clears up in a few days. The virus can then localise in the reproductive tract and cause misshapen or soft-shelled eggs with very watery whites when the bird begins to lay. There is no cure once this has happened but there is a vaccine, best given at day old."

I bought the hen at 20 weeks old so she could have already had IB as she has never had any symptoms since and was laying softies when I got her. 

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

jhub

• jane
Re: Causes of soft shelled eggs
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 22:50 »
Hello ANHBUC
How old is she? Is she laying any normal eggs?
I had this problem with one of mine and had a lot of advice so have copied the thread here
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=78909.0
Unfortunately it was not a good outcome for my chook but she was suffering greatly.
Regards,
Jane

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 12:03 »
Thanks for that jhub, I have tried everything that Hillfooter has mentioned.  I really do think that she must have had an infection before we got her.  She is just over 2 years old but has had a problem with her eggs more often than not.  She laid double yolkers frequently and I thought that was the reason she could not produce enough shell.  Some times she laid 2 eggs in one day.  She also lays the white without a shell sometimes so she is a really messy hen.  She is one of my husbands hens otherwise I probably would have culled her by now as the softies cause a hygiene problem if not cleared up straight away.  She has recently gone through moult and was laying very thin shelled eggs.  She now has a lovely new set of feathers but is back to softies again. 

She is of course top hen and the greadiest.  I could keep her in the walk in run when the others are freeranging so she just eats layers pellets.  Then I think that she would get really stressed and that would be unfair.  I wouldn't mind if she ran out of eggs and didn't lay again, it would mean less mess to clean up.   ::) 

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 21:51 »
It's a real dilemma and the only reason I culled my hen was because she was in such distress, otherwise I would have kept her as a pet.

wildwitchy

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 19:34 »
Tylan can work well for these kind of infections. I had a leghorn trio that I rescued and I think they had IB. They were very poorly & thought I might loose the 3.  The eggs were wrinkly and thin shelled. Sometimes with spots on them. One of them died, but the other two survived. I used baytril for mine and they recovered but the eggs were still always on the thin side regardless of what I did.

xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
Soft Shelled Eggs

Started by Chook Chook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 15:55
by Chook Chook
xx
Soft shelled eggs

Started by cinders on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 15:58
by babe
xx
soft shelled eggs

Started by angeandjohn on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 16:06
by angeandjohn

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 39 queries.