Wing-clipping and run fence height.

• 6 Replies

Diggit

Wing-clipping and run fence height.
« on: December 30, 2010, 22:11 »
Hi All, me again! :)

I've been searching for the answer but cannot find a detailed post.

The first question is regarding wing-clipping. Does it harm or hinder the hens at all. (apart from the obvious) and how often and how easy is it for a beginner to do. I've read on the site of a local breeder that they are happy to clip the wings before the birds leave and they are happy to show how its done for the future reference. Is it something that is done periodically or are there signs that it needs doing again?

The other question is regarding the height of the fence of the run. The hens will be let out into the run during the day whilst we are at work. Do I need a "roof"? If yes then it would make sense to build the run high enough for me to walk into, but if a roof isn't required then how high should the fence be for hybrid layers with their wings clipped?

Thanks,

p.s. sorry for all of the questions but I want to make sure I get things right as I am building from scratch. I have used the search function and found lots of answers but somethings aren't so easy to find.  ???
Paul

orchardlady

Re: Wing-clipping and run fence height.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 22:30 »
Well Paul it's one of those questions like.... How long is a piece of string...? Clipping a birds wing, note the singular, is to misbalance any jump/flapping of he bird over a fence. However a hen can still do it even though her wing has been clipped but is just less likely to as she will be off balance. You can get the canny hen that can compensate for the difference in her balance. Some people prefer not to clip a wing so the hen can have a bit of a heads up against predators by getting herself up into a tree etc. The feathers you clip will have no feeling. I would agree that the breeder doing it for you the first time and showing you at the same time in an excellent idea. It is very easy once you see how. The only time your birds will have any feeling in their feathers is when they are 'in blood' which is when the feather is very new and engorged with blood. They look like little spines making a fully moulting bird look like a porcupine. It might be a good idea to roof the pen if possible but make sure it's high enough for you to stand up right or you will curse it forever more when you need to catch a bird or do maintenance inside the run.

OL

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 07:57 »
Hello, I would wait to see if your hens need their wings clipping first mine are let loose in the garden and have no interest in jumping the fence or gates they are only 3 foot high. my girls are also hybrids, some breeds are more flighty than others. 

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 16:00 »
I didn't need to clip my original 3 girl's wings but the new girls were very flighty so I looked up instructions and diagrams on the internet. It was very easy to do and did help keep them a bit closer to the ground, but if they can get a leg up onto something they will still try to get over the fence!
Your run should have a roof to make it predator proof, so yes, make it high enough to stand in, it will save you a lot of backache.

daisy1990

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 17:38 »
would agree with previous posts.  My three girls dont have clipped wings but make no effort to fly over their electric fence.  They do however fly up on top of the rabbit hutches and quail pens so could if they wanted to!  I like to believe it is because they have all they need in my garden and dont want to leave us!

If you do need to clip there is an excellent video on youtube shows you how
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

oborne27

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 21:33 »
I agree with sneezer, mine have never had their wings clipped and show no interest in flying. as long as there is enough to keep them interested then it should not be a problem. as to fence height the I would make it 6ft high, unless it has a roof of course

evie2

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 22:13 »
When we first got chooks we clipped their wings as advised and the still flew up into the trees :lol: we've not clipped any of our chooks this time and although they're free to range when we're at home and fly into the fruit trees they don't fly over to the neighbours  :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
wing clipping

Started by Selkie on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post November 13, 2007, 18:00
by Selkie
xx
wing clipping

Started by Geo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 19:51
by Geo
xx
Wing Clipping

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 22:27
by Chookaholic
xx
Wing clipping or not?

Started by marzi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 21:47
by joyfull

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 38 queries.