spraddle leg

• 3 Replies

maggiem

spraddle leg
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:20 »
Hi, we hatched 15 chicks last week in our incubator. One of them has spraddle leg which I think might have been caused by a drastic temperature drop owing to power cuts which we had on the 7th - the 9th day of incubation.
This is the first time I have dealt with spraddle leg. We taped up the poor wee mite's legs with a band aid type plaster on Thursday but I don't know how long to leave it on. Should I take it off today to see if there is any difference? I'm terrified I hurt it when I try to get the sticky bit off from its legs :unsure:

kegs

Re: spraddle leg
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:32 »
I think you'll just have to take the plaster off and see whether it can walk.  If not replace it and try again for a few more days.  Good luck and I hope it works.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 18:26 »
Hi,
Sorry I'm late!
You should really put the leg brace on from day 1, I use a thin strip of vet wrap this is a bandage that sticks to itself. This means there is no glue involved so you do not have to worry about it getting too tight.

You need to leave the brace on for at least a week in a newly hatched chick, some times 10 - 14 days. If after this time the legs are still splayed then I am afraid there is nothing you can do.

I have had a couple of chicks with this problem this year and they are right as rein now  :)

maggiem

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 16:46 »
Hi Rileyfin and Kegs. This is just to say thanks for the advice given by yourselves. The chick is now running about perfectly and no sign of spraddle leg at all now. Thanks,
Maggie

xx
Spraddle leg

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2010, 18:30
by yellowpenguin
xx
Little spraddle leg!

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 18:06
by nnbreeder
xx
Spraddle leg

Started by Vixchix on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 14:22
by Vixchix
xx
Spraddle Leg on young Nugget.

Started by ScottBarton on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2012, 11:33
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 37 queries.