Poorly hen ?

• 2 Replies

The Good Life

Poorly hen ?
« on: June 28, 2009, 20:54 »
Hi all, one of our chickens Rocky has been ill a little while now she had sour crop a few days before we went on a weeks holiday(got back yesterday) my hubby was making her sick to try and get the blockage moved before we went away and it seemed better, i explained to my mum who was looking after the girls what was wrong and brought some yogurt and vinegar like it said might help in some posts. Also have been feeding her weetabix mixed with some water. Got back yesterday and she is so boney...lost loads of weight and not interested in food, so i have been syringe feeding her today and will continue too until she starts eating for herself, saying that she has eaten some rice and worms today. Her pouch was completely empty this morning when checked so do you think shes just lost her appetite from being poorly? Shes very sleepy and lethargic with a wing dropped down and to top it off i thought she was'nt laying but she is....totally confused now!
“Business is never so healthy as when, like a chicken, it must do a certain amount of scratching for what it gets”

Maeve

Re: Poorly hen ?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 22:06 »
I too am nursing a very poorly hen who had her crop emptied surgically last week.  I know she has not eaten for 10 days and it could be a day or two longer.  I cannot get her to eat by herself though she drinks water with electrolyte powder in it so I think the glucose is keeping her going.  I have been syringe feeding her but have no idea whether I'm giving her enough or too little so would really appreciate knowing exactly what you are feeding her, how much and how often. 
I've been giving her about 4 ml of the water in which layers mash or a special recovery food for herbivores I got from the vet, has been soaked.  Should I get a bigger syring that could take up some of the mash "porridge" or do I risk choking her?
I do hope yours recovers-she sounds in better shape than my little girl.

The Good Life

Re: Poorly hen ?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 22:31 »
Hi Maeve, I have a 5ml syringe and to start could get about 3 ml food down her but this afternoon was 10ml maybe slightly more does'nt seem much but as she has'nt been eating it better than nothing! She drinks and will eat the rice on her own just small amount though. Tomorrow going to soak some layer pellets and syringe them to her. As you probably know syringing the food to the chicken is not easy so you only manage to get a little down at a time anyway so would'nt worry too much about choking. Oh we also put some garlic in with the layer pellets too but have completely forgotten why ::) it was in one of the posts i read along with live yogurt and cider vinegar.

Hope that helps you too

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly Hen

Started by frillfoll on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2008, 09:17
by Aunt Sally
xx
Poorly hen

Started by leddenton on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 05, 2010, 16:24
by Hawkins
xx
Another poorly hen

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 29, 2010, 07:52
by joyfull

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 38 queries.