constructing a chicken run- supplies

• 8 Replies

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
constructing a chicken run- supplies
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:37 »
Hello Knowledgeable folk...  ???

So I have a chicken house and all I need now is the run.  Idea being that they will be in there most of the time and allowed to free range weekends and when we are home so at least an hour or two a day during the week.

I am constructing my run around two raised beds which measure 2mx2m.  The chicken house will be situated next to the raised beds on firmer grass so they will also have another 1mx1m next to the raised bed outside the chicken house.  This small patch will have a lower roof (say 70-90cm high) and all closed in with the feeders underneath.  This area will then open into the raised beds which will have a 6ft roof.
I don't want to put the house inside the run if possible although I understand that this will be adding weaknesses for foxes etc into the design.

So my main question is where do I get the materials from cheaply?!  Their house cost a small fortune (for me lol) and looking at the cost of meshing it seems to be equally as expensive.  I'm guessing if I fenced it all in i'm going to need 20m^2 for the big run and 4m^2 for the little run... I'll also need to build a door and will need some fence posts...

Does that sound about right?  And any good sources of good mesh?

(Sorry if this doesn't make complete sense, this is theperfect example as to why men are needed!- my poor chickens are going to end up with a lopsided run!)  :blink: ::)

Casey76

Re: constructing a chicken run- supplies
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:39 »
Men are not needed! *humph* Have more faith in yourself!

Look at www.hillsofdevon.co.uk at their aviary mesh; it is very reasonably priced.  Then you need some roofing battens.  If you get the 2m long nes, you have the basis of building 2x1m panels which can be screwed (or cable-tied) together.

Then go to B&Q or Wickes 9or similar) to find the onduline (or coroline) for the roofing.  it comes in 2x1m sheets too.  I have no idea how much it is in the UK, but I can get it in France for about 9€ a sheet.

I'm going to be making up some run panels tonight, so I can do some photos so you can see how easy it is really ;)

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 13:28 »
Thanks Casey  :happy:  This is the first time I have ever tried to build anything out of wood or the like so it's all a bit scary  :nowink:

I've had a look at the website and the prices do seem very reasonable considering postage is free (I think).  Any chance you could clear up one more query   :wub:....

What mesh size do I need?

also, should I put onduline roofing on the bigger run as well?

Thank you!  Some photos would be really helpful to!  :D

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 18:43 »
Hi Nicki,  I can't help with advice for the run - I am in NZ and we have different requirements here (no foxes for a start!) but I just wanted to add that it's entirely possible to build a run without the help of a bloke.  And so satisfying when you see the end result!  :D

When I was doing some paving I found it very useful to have a book on home renovation projects handy.  It was very basic and gave all sorts of tips on techniques to make the job easier.  Such a book is a very good investment, or you could probably find one in your local library if you don't want to buy one.

Have fun making the run!

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 18:55 »

I'm going to be making up some run panels tonight, so I can do some photos so you can see how easy it is really ;)

Be nice to see them Casey as I am expanding  :)
Alan

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 19:27 »
Sorry, won't be doing any tonight as I didn't finish work until 7pm (I started at 7:30am) so I'm a bit knackered.

I am finishing early tomorros, so will hopefully get some good photos in a decent light.

JohnVW

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 09:59 »
I have made a run for my four ladies using 2" x 2" posts to give a finished height of 6 ft and poultry netting from www.gardening-naturally.com  The netting is 2m wide and you can buy it by the metre.  Far far cheaper than wire mesh and just as strong.  My run is about 20ft long.  Very helpful supplier who will gladly send a catalogue.  JohnVW

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 10:21 »
I have made a run for my four ladies using 2" x 2" posts to give a finished height of 6 ft and poultry netting from www.gardening-naturally.com  The netting is 2m wide and you can buy it by the metre.  Far far cheaper than wire mesh and just as strong.  My run is about 20ft long.  Very helpful supplier who will gladly send a catalogue.  JohnVW

The netting looks good but what is it made of, the website doesn't say?  If it is plastic a fox could chew through it easily.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Casey76

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 10:30 »
Hi John, if the poultry netting is plastic, or plastic coated string, then predators will be able to chew through it in a flash.

One of the reasons we advocate using weldmesh is that predators find it very difficut to chew through - unlike even "chicken wire" which is good for keeping chickens in, but predators, one they have chewed through one strand can unravel it to get into the run.

You can buy 15m lengths of 6' (0.5"  x 1" mesh) from hills of devon for less than 15m of the poultry netting (£39.00 vs £44.85) - this is something I'm snarking at as I've just paid €95 for 25m of 1m high weldmesh... c'est la vie!

xx
chicken supplies ,drinkers hygiene stuff etc

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 17, 2007, 14:46
by Foxy
xx
Constructing a walk in run....

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 03:15
by Hen 1-0 Fox
xx
Constructing a pond for the geese

Started by kizza on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 14:22
by alan42
xx
Medical Supplies

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 14:48
by Vickie & Richard

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 37 queries.