Constructing a pond for the geese

• 10 Replies

kizza

• Experienced Member
« on: July 24, 2007, 22:14 »
Hi, I have 2 Toulouse geese and 3 embdens. Currently they have two paddling pools, but I would love them to have something bigger and deeper. Does anyone know any where that sell large plastic ponds that would suit geese ?or any tips/advice on building a natural pond?, one with a liner? or a concrete one?

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 04:38 »
in my humble oppinion ( i got in trouble here for answering a similar question  ) i would not build a pond for them they will turn it into a smelly mud bath in weeks. if you already had a natural pond of some considerable gallonage then yes ok a couple of geese would be ok but a small pond will be more trouble than its worth.
in my opinion
alan

WG.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 04:45 »
Agreed.  In fact ducks/geese can be used to make their own 'natural' pond.  Dig a large enough hole, tip in a load of clay & they will soon puddle it down to form a water-retaining layer.

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 18:14 »
point of interest and proof is i once got a bath and filled with water i only had two ducks in the run, a fortnight later the smell was terible so i tryed to empty it i kid you not there must have been 6 to 8 inches of mud and s^*t at the bottom of it and as for midge larva millions the chicks loved the millions of blood worms in the silt. i wouldent have water near ducks/geese ect apart from drinking that is.
alan

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 18:47 »
we used to have a bath pond for our ducks, it was sunk into the ground the the damn ducks all drown in it one night... so we got rid of it obviously.

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 05:53 »
I built the much criticised pond mentioned here and for the pleasure my ducks and geese have from it it was worth every penny and second.  It is still fine,not crystal clear any more but they are ducks for goodness sake.

I got a pump to empty mine when it gets too bad, not needed to do it yet though, it does not smell (prob helped by the rain and poor weather no sun to agrivate it)

Do what you think is best, mine had paddling pools to start with and they are cheap and easy to fill and ducks  dont care what it is they will have fun in any water you provide.  I personally think to keep ducks and not provide a swimming pond of some description is cruel, they love to swim and splash so much.

4 months on it looks like this, not a muddy hole, a few bits of grass and feathers (removed with a cheap fishing, we had been strimming back that day) looks ok to me and I don't see the "kids" complaining

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 12:20 »
Looks as if they really appreciate your efforts slowef  :D

With all animals comes the responsibility to care for them well.  And in my opinion that includes providing them with an envionment they are happy with.

Ducks = Water

If the pond becomes unpleasent - you clean it  :!:   Where's the problem  there :?:

slowef

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 17:55 »
Exactly :-)

kizza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 23:50 »
geese...not ducks

slowef

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 08:42 »
Yes I call it a duck pond but its also a Goose pond.

They both love water, and in my photo I have both, 2 geese there in the pond one white hard to see its a goose from photo and the grey one.  In fact when the pond was finished the Geese were first in diving round and seem to love water even more than ducks!

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 14:22 »
that pond still doesent look 25 x 18 feet but hey i am glad your proving me wrong and are enjoying the pond good luck to you.
alan

xx
Constructing a walk in run....

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 03:15
by Hen 1-0 Fox
xx
constructing a chicken run- supplies

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 10:30
by Casey76
xx
Geese

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 13:20
by pekinpete
xx
Would the geese have done it?

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 17:30
by evie2

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 32 queries.