DIATOM / DIATOMACEOUS EARTH

• 6 Replies

hendreary

DIATOM / DIATOMACEOUS EARTH
« on: May 04, 2010, 20:24 »
I was looking at this product to use for dusting the inside of the coop to prevent Red Mite, but reading the literature I see that it can also be used to control worms. Does anybody use it ? Does anybody recommend it ? For either Red Mite or Worm control ?
Geoff Davis. :)

grumpydad

Re: DIATOM / DIATOMACEOUS EARTH
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 20:41 »
for worms use flubenvet, it is medicated, DE is crushed silica.

i have gone off using any powder in the coop, and only use liquids now, it cuts down on the dust where the chucks sleep.

hemcore for the floor and nest boxes
virkon s as a liquid disinfecant spray
poultry shield and red mite liquids sprayed in the coop

done in the mornings when the chucks are out.

i would say keeping things clean is the best, but it does not always work.

TeaPots

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 20:45 »
i put ditom in their dustbaths, then they dust themselves  :lol:

pigeonpie

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 21:07 »
Hi,
We had an infestation of red mite last year so I rushed off to the local farm supplies and bought myself some spray.  It seemed to kill the mites I could see but didn't do anything to slow down the ones emerging.  I then bought some stronger stuff that I mixed up and after clearing out the hen house and keeping the chickens away I sprayed all over.  Again, the success was great immediately but the mites kept coming back, even though I did this every week.  It was also quite a big job to clean it all out, banish the chickens and dress up in darth vader style protective gear. 
I then read about diatomaceous earth and ordered some on line.  The ease of use and the absolute success has converted me to a complete believer in it's mite killing powers.  I use it every week when I clean the house out as well as sprinkling some in the dust bath areas and around the earth surrounding their home.  I use an old flour shaker to make sure it is easy to handle and honestly think it is great.  I've not seen a single mite since.
However, I use Flubenvet for worming as I wouldn't be sure of the effectiveness of the diatom. 
Hope you find something that works for you.

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 00:13 »
I would certainly agree with GD, dust in the house is not a great idea.  Chx are very susceptible to respiratory infections and dust can irritate their respiratory tract.  Also dust is an effective vector of disease.  One suspended dust particle can carry thousands of viruses which are easily breathed in.  You can use DE effectively against Red Mite and reduce the dust problem risk by painting it on as a slurry.  

Mix a surface disinfection concentration of Vanodine V18 disinfectant (as given on the bottle).  Add DE powder mixing as you go (add powder to liquid) until you have a thin batter consistancy.  Paint on all surfaces of the perches and in corners, nooks and crannies in the house and nestboxes after every 2 or three cleans (avoid washing off between deeper cleans).   See http://www.british-birds-in-aviculture.info/Vanodine.html for info on the benefits of this disinfectant for use on dirty surfaces.

I wouldn't advise you to use DE as a wormer or to dust on the birds see http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/de.htm which is a bit more alarmist than I think is warrented however it's worth a read.  For worming, as GD says, use Flubenvet which is safe and proven against a broad spectrum of worms.

"White powder or spray for RedMite".  If this is the Barrier Red Mite treatment you should save your money as it's not effective.  The active ingredient in these products is Citrodiol which is a mosquito repellant for use on people and is unproven (according to it's manufacturer) for Red Mite on chickens.  Using the sray on the house is also not how Barrier recommends it is used (read the bottle).  Red mite are not attracted to wooden houses they are attracted to chx and if it is going to be effective at all it needs to be sprayed on the birds (a completely impractical procedure for more than a few chx despite Barrier's claims it's used by commercial poultry keepers.)  It's just expensive chicken deoderant.  

The only effective (longer term and persisting effect) treatments are pesticides and the most effective of these are reserved for professional trade use by regulations.  Red Mite are easy to kill, pretty much any detergent will do the job, however as others have observed they only work on contact and once dry they have no enduring effect so mite and eggs which have escaped the washing quickly recolonise the house.  Steam cleaning works and DE used after a steam clean will deter further infestations.  DE isn't effective at treating heavy established infestations but it does protect against new infestations and a valuable treatment which isn't subject to restrictive trade use.

HF

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 00:18 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

hendreary

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 12:51 »
Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 13:24 »
for worms use flubenvet, it is medicated, DE is crushed silica.

i would say keeping things clean is the best, but it does not always work.

Just expanding on this.  DE is the fossilised skeletons of microscopic plants (algae) and is extremely abrasive at a microscopic level as well as being ver dehydrating.  RM are cpated in a waxy material and DE removes this and causes dehydration so the mites avoud this material.  DE works mechanically not chemically by denial of harbourage rather than being toxic to mite.

Vanodine V18 is an iodine based disinfectant and works even on contaminated surfaces which would neutralise other disinfectants such as chlorine or quat based ones.  It's also safe to eat and breath so is good for misting and is claimed to be effective against fungi which many aren't.  Most disinfectants need to be used after a good clean with a detergent.  I believe that's how Lifeguard works it's basically a combined detergent and disinfectant.  Vanodine should work on soiled wood so is good for spraying in the house between cleans, as well as egg sanitising and a drink sanitiser.
HF
HF

xx
Diatomaceous Earth

Started by Kytie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 26, 2011, 16:20
by Kytie
xx
diatomaceous earth

Started by xxfluffeexx on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 16:30
by xxfluffeexx
xx
Diatomaceous Earth

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 11:38
by OpiumEater
xx
Stalosan F & Diatomaceous Earth

Started by neenyneen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 22:15
by neenyneen

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 39 queries.