Set eggs on 23rd June. Info thread/hatchalong

• 38 Replies

tatiana916

Re: Set eggs on 23rd June. Info thread/hatchalong
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 19:30 »
WE'VE GOT CHICKS! came home and heard them! Lifted her up a little bit didn't want to intrude on her too much and there was a little grey and black chick with a black face and beak. I'm assuming they might be silkies as I've heard they can hatch early but might be a sumatra. I'll upload some pics first thing!
  Yay so happy! :lol:

bantam novice

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 20:51 »
 :D  Me too!  four chicks hatched out so far and  three eggs to hatch out (hopefully).   :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 21:11 »
Oohh, good luck to both of you, hope you get lots of fluffy little chicks. Don't forget pics tho!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 21:32 »
Congratulations to both of you.  Looking forward to the chick pics.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

tatiana916

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 21:52 »
WEVE GOT A BLEEDING CHICK!!!!  :(
I took her out immediatly and I've put her in a small box under some makeshift heatlamps.

She's very lively and looks like she had mites, weve stopped the bleeding, washed the wound a little, and rubbed a small amount of mite powder all over her.

We then put her into a small box with straw and a dry flanel, next to a radiator and a lamp to stabalise the temperature at bang on 32 degrees celcius.

she seems really lively, and rather happy, and couldnt stop peeking her head out of the wrapped up cloth just to look at me while my partner madethe box up, now after all that madness I was hoping for the best advise on anything else to do? :(

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 23:10 »
why have you taken her away from mum?

tatiana916

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 23:17 »
because she was bleeding and the mum had feathers in her mouth from pecking her.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 08:09 »
oh I see sorry OOPS I thought your I'VE GOT A BLEEDING CHICK was excitement at the chick arriving. I have now read in a completely different context and it makes sense  :blush:
I hope all is well this morning. Any more arrivals?

tatiana916

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 08:37 »
Chick is doing fine, she was VERY lively at 5 this morning!!  ::) going to give her another clean so she's got no blood on her. I'm keen to get her back to mum as soon as possible. Is this a good idea? Or now that she's been separated will the mum reject her?
I think what happened is when I moved her off to get the empty egg shells I think she stood on one. Which may have been the source of the wound.
Still just the three so far. I think there's two silkies (one of them is the injured one) and a sumatra. They kept poking their heads out this morning so at least I know they're fine and she isn't rejecting them.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 09:24 »
sneak her under but then keep a close eye on her and mum to make sure mum isn't attacking her. Broody hens are very prone to mites and lice so as soon as mum brings the chicks out for food and water give the coop a really good clean. Put something like frontline on the mum.
Staffies are softer than you think.

tatiana916

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 11:43 »
At the moment I'm quite reluctant to put her back as she still has a very large red gash under her earlobe and only one of her eyes will open. I've cleaned all the blood from her feathers but the wounds are still very visible.

I've given her a sugar solution this morning which she took to very well and still has lots of zest for life!! I'm so happy that she's so active. She's constantly scurrying around or cheeping. The wounds don't seem to have affected her at all and there was no mites on her this morning

With regards to the frontline, do I just use cat frontline?

Thank-you for everyones advice so far, you've all been so helpfull. It's horrible not knowing what to do to save the poor bundles of fluff!

kegs

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 16:42 »
I'd dab a little gentian purple violet on the cuts with a cotton bud stick to disguise the blood before you put the chick back.   

Cat or puppy strength Frontline on the hen (not the chicks).

tatiana916

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 18:26 »
On a happy note we've had 3 hatch under Batman, one sumatra and 1 or 2 polish which is great because I couldn't decide which breed is my favourite!

Congrats bantam novice! Did any more hatch throughout the day? What breed are they?

bantam novice

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 22:15 »

We have six chicks with mum and one keeping warm in the incubator that needed help hatching.  Three of ours are millefleur sabelpoots. and three are pekin/silkie crosses.  The one in the incubator is a sabelpoot.  It is rather weak and I'm not sure it will get through the night.

tatiana916

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 22:48 »
Oh fingers crossed for your little one! Hope she makes it through the night. Is it worth giving her a sugar solution? I've been giving it to Phoenix my injured silkie chick and she's doing a lot better, although I've never had chicks and can't watch the others so I don't have anything to compare her to sadly.

xx
Help second hand incubator 20 marran eggs need info

Started by marran on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 08, 2007, 18:06
by chelle
xx
Chicken moulting in June is this usual as my others were all Novemberish?

Started by SamT on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2015, 18:43
by Prod
xx
To much info

Started by brrian on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 02:08
by Lindeggs
xx
Please can anyone help my friend with info??

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 11:48
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 33 queries.