pumpkin wine

• 3 Replies

naturesparadise

pumpkin wine
« on: February 11, 2008, 20:50 »
one for Halloween

This is Leo Zanelli's recipe and he swears by it. The sugar is high and will produce either an 18% alcohol dry wine or a lower alcohol sweet wine, depending on what yeast you use. If you want the high alcohol, use a high alcohol yeast such as Lalvin K1V-1116 (Montpellier) or Wyeast 3347 (Eau de Vie), both of which can handle the extreme sugar. If you want moderate alcohol but sweet wine, use Red Star Côte des Blancs for 13% alcohol with 5% residual sugar. For slightly less sweet, use Lalvin 71B-1122 (Narbonne), ICV-D47 (Côtes-du-Rhône), Lalvin Simi-White, or White Labs WLP730 Chardonnay White Wine for 14% alcohol and 4% residual sugar, or Lalvin AMH (Assmanshausen), Lalvin BGY (Burgundy), Lalvin CY3079, Lalvin ICV-D80 (Côte Rôtie), or White Labs WLP720 Sweet Mead/Wine for 15% alcohol and 3% residual sugar. Read the yeast descriptors at Strains of Wine Yeast for correct nutrient and temperature requirements for the strain you select. or

* 5 lbs grated pumpkin flesh
* 3-1/4 lbs finely granulated sugar
* 1/2 oz citric acid
* 1 tsp yeast nutrient
* 1/4 tsp yeast energizer
* 6-1/2 pts water
* wine yeast (see above)

Bring the water to a boil and stir in the sugar until dissolved. Remove from heat. Place grated pumpkin flesh in primary and pour boiling water over pumpkin. Allow to cool to room temperature and add citric acid, yeast nutrient and activated yeast. Cover primary and stir daily for three days, submerging "cap" as necessary. Pour through a nylon straining bag and let pumpkin drip drain. Transfer to secondary and fit airlock. After 5 days, top up if necessary. Rack after two weeks and again after additional 30 days, topping up and refitting airlock each time. Set aside for 3 months and then rack, stabilize, sweeten if desired, wait 10 days for dead yeast to fall out, and rack into bottles. [Adapted from Leo Zanelli's Home Winemaking from A to Z with modifications by Jack Keller]

this recipe come from here they have lots on there to
roxanne's wine recipes

David.

pumpkin wine
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 16:07 »
I've made pumpkin wine from Halloween offcuts and the only word to describe it was "evil".

Pumkin and marrow are the only two wines I have ever poured down the drain.

alibean

• Experienced Member
pumpkin wine
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 21:17 »
Made 3 gallons of pumpkin wine last year and it was pretty revolting !  However, mixed it with 2 gallons of slightly oversweet Ribena wine and the result was a very palatable (and deceptively pokey) alcopop !!!

David.

pumpkin wine
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 16:04 »
Quote from: "alibean"
Made 3 gallons of pumpkin wine last year and it was pretty revolting !  However, mixed it with 2 gallons of slightly oversweet Ribena wine and the result was a very palatable (and deceptively pokey) alcopop !!!

You've got to watch some of those Ribena recipes around, or you will end up with a thin, sickly sweet,  blackcurrant rose.

xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam
xx
Pea Pod Wine

Started by rock_chick on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 19:37
by rock_chick
xx
Wine from old jam.....

Started by jacnal on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post July 24, 2007, 00:10
by wisp
xx
More wine help please

Started by grinling on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 19:52
by grinling

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 38 queries.