When (if ever) can I take the netting of PSB?

• 8 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
When (if ever) can I take the netting of PSB?
« on: July 28, 2013, 17:35 »
In my 'summer brassica' bed I planted cabbages to harvest and also some PSB - I am now thinking this was prob the wrong thing to do as PSB should have been in the same bed as my cauli's and winter/spring cabbages will go I to in a week or so? Anyway, they are there now and almost at the top of my debris netting tunn which I made about waist height. Will I still need to keep them covered as they get taller or will I be able to remove the netting shortly? Also, for my winter brassicas such as cauli's will I need to net them as well? I have the pipe and netting to make another tunnel if needed - I am just struggling to get my head round the whole change of season/crop rotation thing...

compostqueen

Re: When (if ever) can I take the netting of PSB?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 17:39 »
Oh don't worry about the rotation thing. Just don't plant brassicas there after you've harvested the crop

I would certainly keep them covered or they'll be got at either by pigeons, pheasants, rabbits, deer etc etc
It's a pain in the neck having to keep taking the netting off to weed but there we are. No pain, no gain  :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 18:19 »
Ok, how tall does PSB grow? My tunnel is current about waist height at the sides (taller in the middle) and the PSB has almost reached the top already. I don't know how much taller I can make the tunn and sill keep it stable in the wind etc.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 21:36 »
Mine got to 4ft this spring, my neighbour's got to 5ft - can you stabilise the hoops with canes tied over the top/along the sides?

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 22:28 »
I have got some canes on there already which works well but if I need higher I will have to transfer this net to my next brassica bed and build a new one for my taller stuff like PSB then. Thanks!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 22:31 »
I bought some super tall metal hoops from HH for just this purpose ;)

Mine shall stay netted throughout.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 22:37 »
My psb survived for a couple of seasons surrounded by a fence of waist-high netting before I bought a netting tunnel, and that was more because of whitefly rather than anything else.  It was certainly a lot easier to pick!
Anne

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 13:44 »
I'm on the look out for compact psb and calabrese varieties as these huge plants do my head in.  I like a compact plant as they take up far less space and you don't need acres of netting.  Also, if there are only two of you the plant doesn't need to be massive. I wish breeders would take note that not everyone wants a 28 lb cabbage >:(

seaside

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 17:58 »
The butterflies disappear October time so I have found netting for the Winter and Spring can be straight forward bird netting just draped over the plant. I use a larger gauge thicker net so any top emerging sprouts don't get caught up in the net and wreck it. Seems to work.

xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
netting

Started by blackisgreen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 10:13
by blackisgreen
xx
Netting over?

Started by Dora5 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 15:30
by Paul Plots
xx
pea netting

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 06, 2013, 20:48
by Auntiemogs

Page created in 0.55 seconds with 34 queries.