What's wrong with the raspberries?

• 4 Replies

erikaz1

What's wrong with the raspberries?
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:52 »
As part of the massive garden clearance, I discovered several substantial patches of wild raspberries. As soon as I realised what they were, I left them be so some are just coming into fruit now (others weren't so lucky because they accidentally got chopped down). I've just noticed some have odd little orange spots on the leaves. What is it? Is it a problem and what should I be doing about it?
20150708_170952_resized.jpg

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: What's wrong with the raspberries?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 11:07 »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 12:43 »
The RHS says:
•If the yellow pustules can be spotted in spring, and just a few leaves are affected, then picking these off may slow the spread of the disease
 •If large numbers of leaves are affected, however, removing them will do more harm than good
 •Collect up and dispose of any leaves that fall prematurely, together with the rest of the leaves as they fall in the autumn
 •Ensure that the canes are not too crowded as this will lead to poor air circulation, prolonged leaf wetness, and higher disease levels
 •Feed plants adequately to ensure good vigour, but don’t overdo it as this will produce excessively soft growth that is more prone to attack ..............
Plants affected by raspberry rust usually still give an acceptable yield, and application of the non-chemical measures outlined above should mean that attempts at control with fungicides are unnecessary. Rust disease is not usually a reason on its own to replace plants.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=775
Hope this helps.

Edited to add link as per site policy
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 12:53 by mumofstig »
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 12:49 »
Hope this helps.

So do I - it's an extract from the same web page I posted a link to in my reply!  :lol:

erikaz1

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 22:00 »
Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction. I think given the state of the 'jungle' this year that I'm just going to have to accept things aren't going to go to plan. As for next year, I'm hoping to have a little more control over the place so weeds, pests and diseases can be given a bit more of my attention.

xx
raspberries! cut down the wrong ones

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 30, 2011, 18:13
by sunshineband
angry
Nothing fits, it's all the wrong size and in the wrong place

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 25, 2015, 11:52
by Goosegirl
xx
What have I done wrong

Started by robbodaveuk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 20:14
by gobs
xx
I know where I've gone wrong!

Started by sweet nasturtium on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 28, 2007, 23:17
by sweet nasturtium

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 40 queries.