Garden ready geraniums

• 5 Replies

mrs bouquet

Garden ready geraniums
« on: April 21, 2011, 15:37 »
I asked for advice on balcony geraniums, and finally went to a very well known grower in the channel islands.   50 + 20 'free'.   I was quite surprised at how small they were.  So out of the 70, 56 are planted and of those about 10 don't look well.
The white and blue salvias haven't arrived yet.  I suppose they will come whilst I am away  :ohmy: :( >:( and a bit disappointed.  Hope you've done better than me, regards, Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Garden ready geraniums
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 16:10 »
you have to be very careful to buy plugs that are garden ready, and even some of them could do with a bit of potting up and growing on :(

Some of the plug plants that are sold are incredibly small...........but the catalogues should say what size they are.

black diamond

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 19:23 »
Today I received some bare root roses from I think the same company,not sure but they look as though they could have been in storage they have good roots but the shoots look like they have been in darkness for a while.Planted them this evening and will see how they go,still waiting for my Geraniums and surprise plants.

maxyboo

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 20:15 »
I suspect I bought from the same company. I ordered 70 garden ready geraniums and was amazed how small they appeared. They were healthy looking however and only 2 haven't grown very well. I repotted them as I don't believe they were garden ready at all. Still waiting for the trailing plants to go with them however.

hamstergbert

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 20:27 »
I got 100+60 free geraniums (pelargonium) as plugs also from a certain Jersey-based company.  Not impressed - quite a few dying/dead but potted on what I could and ended up with about 140 or so.  Of those at least half had one or more damaged/dead leaves and twenty or so have subsequently gone to join the choir invisible.  I appreciate that they are sold as tiny but these were distinctly ropey. Am unlikely to buy these again from them.

However, also got 100+60 free plugs of petunias and managed to pot on 162, almost all of which are currently seeming to thrive and put on healthy growth.   If these were all I had bought I would have been recommending this supplier.  As it goes.... well, caveat emptor
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 20:52 »
I didn't buy plugs, I bought garden ready.  I looked at the dispatch times, but they arrived very shortly after my order.   I didn't want to pot them on, except into the containers I had bought them for.    Ah well, all of lifes rich tapestry etc.  Mrs B

xx
Geraniums

Started by casper on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2014, 02:18
by dmg
xx
Geraniums

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

20 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 02:33
by robbodaveuk
xx
Sowing Geraniums

Started by fatbelly on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post January 14, 2011, 12:07
by DD.
xx
Slow geraniums...

Started by Growster... on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post August 30, 2021, 11:21
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.