Weeds and grasses removed from the garden

• 3 Replies

Beekissed

Weeds and grasses removed from the garden
« on: August 24, 2016, 18:25 »
What do you do with them? 

I put mine in the chicken coop to be turned into compost for next year...usually can place two large cartloads there by the end of the season. 

Goes in like this....

Comes out like this....

One thing I've learned NOT to put in the coop litter for composting....tomato canning scraps.  Had a million and one volunteer tomatoes in the garden all season this year after doing that last year.  The ones I allowed to stay were the healthiest plants in the garden and produced fairly well, some really well.  They were the only tomato plants in the garden that did not get blight this year. 

What do you do with your weeds and old garden vines and such? 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Weeds and grasses removed from the garden
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:26 »
My chickens get some of it, but I also compost a lot.  I've got a few large compost bins on the plot.  2 were filled earlier in the year and capped with soil and have squash plants growing in them.  2 are in the process of being filled now.

I use old potting compost bags split open and weighed down with bits of wood and stones to cover them and they heat up beautifully and rot down to some wonderful stuff to dig back into the soil.  I have to be careful throwing more stuff in as there are very often slow worms basking on top, just under the plastic.  These look like small snakes, but are legless lizzards.  They are totally harmless and I like having them around  :)

Beekissed

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 02:43 »
My chickens would sure snatch those up in a heartbeat!   :lol:   I love having a place to put these weeds and the small amount of soil attached to their roots so that they don't go to waste.

Some folks express fear about composting weeds....I've never seen any evidence that they survive the composting process nor promote more grass or weed growth in the garden. 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 09:01 »
There are some weed roots I don't put in the compost bin, as they are perennial and will survive the process.  Other than that, most stuff goes in.

My allotment site always seems to have several overgrown plots, so there is plenty of weed seed blowing in the breeze.  No point being worried about a few in the compost  :lol:

I also have large bins that I fill pretty quickly.  They heat up pretty well and cook most things  ;)

xx
Grasses

Started by greetwellboy on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 14:36
by Goosegirl
xx
grasses help please?

Started by earthing83 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 17:26
by Goosegirl
xx
About those ornamental grasses !

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2019, 10:25
by mrs bouquet
xx
Festcue grasses

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2021, 15:36
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 36 queries.