Strawberries

• 5 Replies

upert

• Experienced Member
Strawberries
« on: June 17, 2009, 19:02 »
i'm reading differing things about strawberries. if i buy strawberry seed  for an autumn cropper and sow it now could i be harvesting strawberries this autumn?

SG6

Re: Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 19:29 »
Never tried from seed however my neighbour did. From memory I think that you would not get a crop this year as they would be too small. I would say that the plants would be big enough next autumn.

As I say I haven't tried and this is from what I recall of my neighbour growing them from seed.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 19:50 »
I have grown plants from seed but it is a slow way of doing it and the plants would be smaller next year than plants from runners this year.
Find someone with a variety you like and see if they will save you some of the excess runners.
Worth an ask on the swap shop.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 20:21 »
i'm reading differing things about strawberries. if i buy strawberry seed  for an autumn cropper and sow it now could i be harvesting strawberries this autumn?

Highly unlikely. By the time the seed germinates and puts on some growth, the daylight hours would have changed enough to not let it flower despite it being an autumn cropper. Next year it will be ready. 

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 22:42 »
thanks for all your advice. i now have a strawberry 'barrel' (dustbin) half full of strawberry plants, tomorrow i put out feelers for any spare runners going on the site.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 01:50 »
I would imagine you will have no problems getting "runners" but think it is probably still a bit early as this year's are not yet rooted. (mine aren't anyway)

Have a chat with others around you.... someone is bound to have more than they need for next year....so put in an advance request and maybe you could offer something in return to seal the deal?  ;)

Planting out rooted runners in late summer should see you with a start for next year. 2 yr old plants give a better crop but it'll be a start. Growing from seed is so very slow.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sad
strawberries

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:52
by DD.
xx
strawberries

Started by the spiv on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 22, 2013, 14:13
by Trillium
xx
Strawberries

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 15:16
by londongardener
xx
Strawberries

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 02:27
by SUTTY1

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 28 queries.