Bones, yes or no?

• 8 Replies

Grubbypaws

Bones, yes or no?
« on: April 08, 2024, 09:26 »
My husband loves his home made compost hotbin and makes tons of great stuff but he insists on putting chicken and lamb bones in. He insists that they add beneficial nutrients but as far as I am concerned they just dont breakdown and require fishing out of the compost when I use it. Who is right? He says that he will start cutting them up into smaller pieces but I worry that this will just make them jagged and sharp for when I extract them  :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Bones, yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 20:40 »
I have a hot bin I purchased and I don’t put bones in.  Having said that I did find a dead blackbird in the garden last year and as our grey bin wasn’t being emptied for over a week, I did chuck that in there.  It disappeared and there was no trace of anything when I emptied the bin.

You might get away with cut up chicken bones, but I think lamb bones might be a bit of a stretch.  Just my opinion, but the risk of injury from cutting up bones or stabbing your fingers on sharp splinters when using the compost outweighs any minor nutritional benefit they might add.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 23:39 »
Make no bones about it ...

No bones in the compost.  They don't add much of anything unless they are finely milled into bone meal. I'm fairly certain a mill (grinder) capable of making bone meal would be too costly to be worth doing that bit at home.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 09:10 »
Depending how secure your hot bin is you risk attracting rodents certainly applies for a conventional bin. Also if you have had bones in the compost it could attract rodents to the beds where the compost has been used. As I’m not a rodent I don’t know how long the smell would linger.  ;)
Keep digging

Grubbypaws

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 10:30 »
  Just my opinion, but the risk of injury from cutting up bones or stabbing your fingers on sharp splinters when using the compost outweighs any minor nutritional benefit they might add.
Thank you New Shoot. He has listened!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 10:31 »
Make no bones about it ...

No bones in the compost.  They don't add much of anything unless they are finely milled into bone meal. I'm fairly certain a mill (grinder) capable of making bone meal would be too costly to be worth doing that bit at home.
Thank you Sp. He has listened!

whaleroad

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 15:25 »
Depending how secure your hot bin is you risk attracting rodents certainly applies for a conventional bin. Also if you have had bones in the compost it could attract rodents to the beds where the compost has been used. As I’m not a rodent I don’t know how long the smell would linger.  ;)

And even bigger pests. Foxes need no encouragement here as it is. One of them, a lactacting vixen, recently set up home in my enclosed compost 'bin' and burrowed herself a nice cosy bed in there. I couldn't use it for a couple of weeks in case she'd had her cubs in there and I didn't want to disturb them (or risk mama bear attacking me). But this has at least reassured me that my compost must be nice and warm.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 15:27 by whaleroad »

missmoneypenny

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 17:59 »
 :ohmy: Foxes really get everywhere. One comes  up to the cat flap and terrorises my cat. Would probably go in my compost bin if it could open it. And the smell….

Harry998

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2024, 10:45 »
We put bones through ours all the way up to full chicken carcasses!

Bones tend to breakdown from the inside out and we regularly come across them on the plot but they are pretty inert once they've been through a hot bin and don't attract any issues. Seems a shame to waste those nutrients

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 48 queries.