Limping Chicken

• 4 Replies

SamT

Limping Chicken
« on: April 30, 2011, 07:46 »
This morning I noticed one of my chickens with quite a bad limp she must have done it this morning maybe jumping off perch. She's very unsteady on it at times and almost fell over a couple of times. She's still eating and trying to wander round (think she's laying an egg at moment as she's gone back in shed). I had her on my lap and she started to go to sleep so she seems generally ok but should I take her to vet is there anything they can do, or just try and keep her from jumping round too much and rest it?  I've checked her foot to make sure nothing sticking in it and it all looks clear. Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Limping Chicken
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 07:52 »
does it feel a different temperature to her other leg? Can she put it down at all or is she dragging it? It could be just a sprain or a fracture/break or dislocated.
Staffies are softer than you think.

SamT

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:02 »
I'll check temp when she comes back out, but she is standing on it not dragging it, and she did run down the path albeit a little lopsided. She's quite a heavy chicken so if she's landed wrong when she's jumped off perch she may well have sprained it. Do chickens legs break easy? She's not the most active chicken and likes to sit a lot so hopefully that will rest her but if its broken is that repairable?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 08:10 »
yes it is repairable - they can be put in a splint - lolly sticks  :D. If she can put some weight on it and it doesn't feel any different to the other then hopefully she has twisted it or sprained it.
If she is a heavy breed then her perch should not be very high and make sure she has a ramp to get in and out of her coop if it is raised  :D

SamT

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 08:29 »
She's having a dig in the garden now so I think its a sprain she is a lot heavier than the other 2 so I think we will lower the perch today. I'll keep an eye on her see if it gets any worse thanks for your advice. 

xx
limping chicken

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 20:07
by karlooben
xx
limping chicken

Started by Tricky on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 18:10
by karlooben
xx
Chicken limping?

Started by Ribbit on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 18:07
by joyfull
question
limping chicken

Started by peter o on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 19:24
by peter o

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 39 queries.