what has everybody got in the ground already?

• 32 Replies

lesley1322

what has everybody got in the ground already?
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:04 »
i think this has been asked lots but as its my first year & i'm not sure if i'm ahead or behind everyone... i was just wondering what everone has got in the ground already and what is still in the cold-frames etc?

:wub:
:)

Starling

• Experienced Member
Re: what has everybody got in the ground already?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 12:09 »
Broad beans, peas, potatoes, onion, shallots and garlic in the ground.  Everything else is still being hardened off before planting out.  Runners and french beans only sown at the weekend as I just didn't have room.  Not sure if I have left everything too late as this is my first year too. :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 12:16 »
The late frosts this year have made everyone nervous, experienced or otherwise.

However, the beginning of June ought to mean that all the tender summer stuff can go outside after hardening off; just have some fleece standing by in case the weather still has yet another surprise up its sleeves!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 12:19 »
Potatoes (Charlotte and Sarpo Axona), red onions, beetroot, garlic, courgettes (not sure if I've planted them out too soon, they look a bit sad in the cold north-west ground)  ???

Little Gem, Lollo Rosso lettuces, Rocket, spring onions and carrots all in a big box raised up off the ground against slug damage and carrot fly  >:(

Raspberries, strawberries and blackcurrant already planted a couple of years  :)

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 12:20 »
well as its my 1st year with an actual plot ive got loads going in the garden at home + stuff in any old pot and tub i can find because i just cant get to the plot to do anything as i have to keep going away to work and im only getting a couple of hours a week to spare to the lotty.   :(

but at home i have spuds in tubs n containers, onions, garlic, salad leaf, beetroot, spring onion and carrots also in tubs. Ive got some sqaush, and cougettes ready to go in (but dont know where) and ive got tommies chillis and peppers in the greenhouse...oh and some leeks but not sure where the heck they are going either.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

Starling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 12:21 »
Thank JayG,

Will try to get them planted out this week, with fleece on standby  :D

maverick

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 12:33 »
I have King Edward spuds in the ground with Pent Javelin, Maris Peer and Charlotte in bags and tubs. I have tomatoes, cucumbers and one melon plant in greenhouse.

I have 2 atlantic giant pumpkins and 2 courgette's in 4 holes filled with well rotted manure. I have broad beans, peas, runner beans and french beans in.

I have a bed (underneath my munty frame) full of spring onions, beetroot, salads, rocket and herbs.

I have garlic, perpetual spinach, curly kale and PSB.

I planted out my cabbage, cauliflower and fennel last weekend.

I have strawberries and rhubarb - new this year and golden raspberry and tayberry from last year.

Everything looks healthy - It's only my second year and I didn't do anything like this much last year. I'm a little impatient as I can't wait to start eating the stuff  :)

Babstreefern

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 12:35 »
All spuds (earlies, 2nd earlies, main crop); sweetcorn; pumpkin; onions; leeks; celeriac; spinich; french climbing beans; garlic; various brassicas; swede; peas; parsnip; courgettes; fennel - greenhouse: toms, cukes, peppers, cape gooseberry (which are being put out this weekend), and other bits and pieces which I can't remember at the moment :ohmy:
Babs

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 12:59 »
In the ground.

Early potatoes, Later potatoes, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Brocolli, Onion, Peas (replanted due to failed seed), Swede, Spinich, Beets, Parsnips, White turnips, Oriental lettuce, spring onions, gem lettuce, radish, climbing beans, garlic, kailaan, pak choi, corn, courgettes (round and long), mangetouts, butternut squash, patty pan squash, pumpkin, tomatoes and peppers.

Peppers, aubergines, tumbling toms and italian mixed greens in pots.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 15:39 by JayG »

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 13:04 »
I'm a bit late with everything this year but the weather has just been too cold. So far I've got:

Potatoes (international kidney and kerr's pink)
Broad beads
Mange tout
Purple sprouting broccoli,
Lettuce and radicchio
First lot of courgettes and pumpkins (the remainder will get planted out in a week or two)
Radish

Direct sown turnips, swede, cavalo nero, spring onions, radish

I have borlotti beans sown in modules at home and they'll be ready to plant out in a couple of weeks. Still to sow the French beans because I keep forgetting to buy a pack of seeds.  I've also got brocolli rabe sown this year.

I gave the carrots and parsnips a miss this year because they get decimated with root fly and I didn't bother with onions (dirt cheap in the shops) or garlic (usual supplier had none). Globe artichokes have been killed in the frosts which is a serious disappointment and I'll have to start off some more plants for next year.

Most things were planted out over the last fortnight although potatoes have been in longer and are now starting to shoot up.  I'm not expecting any serious harvests for a while yet but it'll be worth it and I'll be pretty much self sufficient all summer and into the autumn. Last year I sowed broad beans the previous autumn and had crops about this time of year but I'm guessing it'll be early July before my first proper summer harvest (with the exception of the established fruit and radishes).

This is my 4th year on the allotment and although things are a bit late, I'm expecting everything to catch now that the weather has warmed up.

maverick

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 13:05 »
Forgot that I had peppers and chili's in a growhouse outside and carrots / parsnips in a raised bed that I forgot about  :wacko:

I have 5 squash plants that I've potted on but I have no room left to put them  :ohmy:

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 13:15 »

In the ground.

Early potatoes, Later potatoes, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Brocolli, Onion, Peas (replanted due to failed seed), Swede, Spinich, Beets, Parsnips, White turnips, Oriental lettuce, spring onions, gem lettuce, radish, climbing beans, garlic, kailaan, pak choi, corn, courgettes (round and long), mangetouts, butternut squash, patty pan squash, pumpkin, tomatoes and peppers.

Peppers, aubergines, tumbling toms and italian mixed greens in pots.

Wow you have so much stuff out already! I haven't put my courgettes or my sweetcorn out yet as I got caught out with earlier courgettes and the frost so I'm leaving it a bit yet. I am hardening them off but can't decide when to go for it. I've got broccoli, swede, caulis, lettuce, onions, red onions, parsnips, potatoes, spring onions, garlic, carrots, radishes & beetroot in the ground and tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and chillies in the polytunnel along with the corn, courgettes and squash that I'm molly coddling. Mmmm maybe it is about time to put them out?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 17:48 by JayG »

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 13:17 »
Oh I forgot about my runners and sugar snap peas which are doing rather well.  :)

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 13:30 »
I should have my first courgette picked in about 4 days but I used fleece tunnel cloches on all my tenders through the frost period so was blessed to make it through relatively unscathed (except for my climbing beans..but that was my fault).

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 15:40 by JayG »

sclarke624

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 15:46 »
Tomatoes loads and loads and loads and no space LOL
Celery self blanching Lathom and Tango loads and loads and loads and no space as well
Strawberries
Raspberries
early tats 2nd early tats Charlotte
Radish
Lettuce
Pearl silver skin onions ........Hmmmm! if I find them
Onions
garlic
Some rogue carrots coming up where old ones were but didn't plant them
cape gooseberry but too late to ripen methinks.
one uncared for cucumber which will probablly die
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
New Ground

Started by bobw1956 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 20:26
by sunshineband
clip
Can these go into the ground?

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 00:22
by al78
xx
What to get in the ground first?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2014, 19:00
by ConfusedGardener
xx
What can go in the ground now??

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 00:10
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 29 queries.