Broken the Covid Rules

• 98 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Broken the Covid Rules
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2020, 10:10 »
With masks, which seem to have acquired political significance in the USA, my understanding is they offer little protection to the person wearing the mask but help prevent the wearer infecting others. Wearing a mask doesn't say 'I'm a scaredy cat' - it says 'I am considering the well being of others'

We have unfortunately had incidents in the USA where employees of businesses have been murdered or assaulted because the employee asked a customer to wear a mask. Rare, but it has happened.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2020, 10:31 »
In the USA (possibly elsewhere too), when hospitals are exceeding treatment capacity for COVID, doctors are already having to make choices about which patients get treatment and a chance to survive, vs. sorry, no room, go die at home.  This is not a fictional plot line, it has happened many times and in many locations.  ...
Fortunately we didn't reach that stage of being overwhelmed in the UK with COVID - it could have been a lot worse when it peaked. I think we in Britain can be very proud of building emergency Nightingale hospitals so very quickly and be very grateful they weren't needed for the most part.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2020, 10:38 »
We have unfortunately had incidents in the USA where employees of businesses have been murdered or assaulted because the employee asked a customer to wear a mask. Rare, but it has happened.
Shopworkers in the UK have been subjected to a lot of abuse during this - as if it's their fault when they ran out of things as people panic bought for the apocalypse.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2020, 10:49 »
Shopworkers in the UK have been subjected to a lot of abuse during this - as if it's their fault when they ran out of things as people panic bought for the apocalypse.

I can say that is true for sure as I have been on the receiving end  ::)

Lockdown was a small price to pay for the lives we saved and also the emotional cost to our medical staff if they had been overwhelmed.  I have listened on-line to a few doctors speak about their experiences in other countries and they had some harrowing decisions to make.  I am sure it was no picnic here, but it could have been way worse. 

I do personally think there are a logical set of steps to locking down and unlocking that have been followed.  It mirrors the way other infection diseases have been dealt with e.g. ebola. 

Empathy and compassion also have their place here.  You can't just write off sections of society and say 'take your chances'.  If that is the way we go,  you had better hope the next pandemic doesn't target the younger generation and leave the older one alone  ;)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2020, 11:14 »
Empathy and compassion also have their place here.  You can't just write off sections of society and say 'take your chances'.  If that is the way we go,  you had better hope the next pandemic doesn't target the younger generation and leave the older one alone  ;)
I think the Spanish Flu pandemic did that -  the oldest and youngest were much more likely to get through it.

Just a not really serious thought... if they'd limited lockdown and furlough to the over 50s and let the virus sweep through the younger people the economy would be in better shape and we'd have this herd immunity so the over-50s could go back out! Only a small number of young people would have died and they'd have had no restrictions to suffer.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2020, 12:01 »
Just a not really serious thought... if they'd limited lockdown and furlough to the over 50s and let the virus sweep through the younger people the economy would be in better shape and we'd have this herd immunity so the over-50s could go back out! Only a small number of young people would have died and they'd have had no restrictions to suffer.

That would have been nice  :D  3 months on furlough instead of being worked to a frazzle  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2020, 12:21 »
Trouble is when teenage/younger people still live at home...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2020, 13:27 »

Now I feel a Life of Brian moment coming on   :lol: ...  what have the romans oldies done for us?

- made up quite a large percentage of key workers and NHS staff who worked through lockdown
- did a lot of volunteering and helping out the even more oldies or more vulnerable amongst their friends, family and neighbours
- let the younger folks live in their houses despite the risk of them bringing lurgies home ... 

James frond

• Often shaken but never stirred.
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2020, 17:28 »

Now I feel a Life of Brian moment coming on   :lol: ...  what have the romans oldies done for us?

- made up quite a large percentage of key workers and NHS staff who worked through lockdown
- did a lot of volunteering and helping out the even more oldies or more vulnerable amongst their friends, family and neighbours
- let the younger folks live in their houses despite the risk of them bringing lurgies home ...
Plus we gave birth to the ungrateful little gits.. (I was a keen participant in the early stages of their development)
Allotmenteers are luckier than some mind you, in that we can go to our respective plots and work happily in acres of open space surrounded by mainly nice sensible people.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 17:37 by James frond »
Why did i put 4 courgette plants in..

xx
Allotment hedges - rules

Started by robinahood on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post July 03, 2018, 18:45
by robinahood
xx
Pooh Sticks - they've changed the rules!

Started by DanielCoffey on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 14:38
by mumofstig
xx
new driving rules [highway code]

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

22 Replies
Last post February 12, 2022, 18:16
by jezza
xx
Do you know anyone that has gotten the COVID jab yet?

Started by Subversive_plot on Chatting on the Plot

115 Replies
Last post May 30, 2021, 13:39
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 48 queries.