Newbie making cider

• 5 Replies

timmeroo

Newbie making cider
« on: December 02, 2013, 11:56 »
Hi- new 'kid' on the block here. I say new kid, but I'm older than Doctor Who! Anyways - been a while since I homebrewed beer and my last wine making experiment was a dis-ast-er. We inherited a small vinyard which has since gone to rack n ruin. But we have plenty of apple trees and an abundance of apples this year which in past years get picked, laid up and more rot than get eaten. So time to get out the old brewin' stuff and think about some cider making for a change. Along with the vinyard we have a grape/apple crusher with rollers for either and a small scale wine/cider press. I now have about 15-18li of apple juice (a mixture of varieties extracted after two crushings and two pressings); this has now been sitting in its tub for these past few days (SG started at 55) by a low heated radiator, it is collecting scum on the top now and looking reasonably clear underneath (until I disturb it). I have several washed and cleaned gallon demi-johns at hand. So what next? - syphon into d-j's to continue self-fermentation? - do I also add a little sugar for a bit of fizz later or not bother at all. And then when and what to do about bottling. Do I need to add any yeast, if so which yeast - beer, wine or specifically cider yeast? - and when do I add it? or do I need to add any at all? I kinda get the impression this isn't rocket science like with wine making. No doubt these answers are already hereabouts but thought I'd make a fresh start with fresh input. Thanking you for your time in advance.

timmeroo

Re: Newbie making cider
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 13:07 »
Additional to the above: before I crushed the apples I chucked them through a tub of water with a couple of crushed Camden tabs thinking these were a kind of steriliser. Some of this water will have gone in with the apples and thus into the collected juice, so I didn't add any tabs to the fermentation tub. After a day, I did sprinkle about 1/2 a teaspoon of out of date (end 2000) Gervin yeast nutrient - which doesn't seem to have done any harm! In fact.....
4 days in, and the tub is now sporting a very lively browny froth and I guess I will have to siphon off from under the frothy crust into D-J's, which I now have ready and lined up after a thorough cleansing (using soda crystals in some cases to remove previous wine making film still there after first wash out). A quick taste reveals a definate fruity cidery tang with a bit of fizz - not bad for just 4 days ferment
- so's oi mus'b'doin' suffant roight!
I am thinking of adding some wine yeast to the D-J's when I do siphon off - but wonder if I really need to now seeing as its fermenting quite well with its own natural yeast - thank you very much!

timmeroo

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 19:04 »
To continue: I have now siphoned off my fermenting juice into 4 and a 1/2 D-J's adding a wee bit of yeast nutrient to each. Pretty much straight away the airlocks were a-bubblin' away as the gasses quite visibly rose. It only occurred to me afterward that I should have kept the self propogated foamy yeast topping to add to the next batch or, indeed, if I consider using some of the pressed mash for making apple wine to add it to that. What do you reckon? Oh, but why am I bothering to ask !

timmeroo

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 15:12 »
ok - now the cider's SG is getting near to the 'bottling' mark on the float, but its now tasting rather dry - do I now add sugar to sweeten or wait until fermentation has stopped completely - and then what ?? Meanwhile I have a second batch warming through in a 25li tub these past few days and have just added some yeast nutrient - and the living room is smelling like a brewery.

Newportalien

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:51 »
You could add saccarine style sugar to add sweetness wen its finished.
The same technique I use in dry wines .

Newportalien

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 12:54 »
A lot cider I find which is dry,will be down to the apples used.
A good mixture of wild / cookers/ dessert apples can blend into a sweeter finish.
Experiment and have fun. :D

xx
Making cider

Started by gusto on Homebrew

12 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:48
by Silkworm
xx
making cider

Started by samuria on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post November 06, 2014, 05:53
by Kevin67
xx
cider making

Started by dick baker on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:08
by Sadgit
xx
Im new to cider making, can you help me?

Started by nuzuki on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post September 30, 2012, 12:11
by SG6

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 34 queries.