Lavender haircut in spring??

• 7 Replies

casper

• Experienced Member
Lavender haircut in spring??
« on: February 10, 2013, 19:07 »
Hi, I sucessfully sowed Munstead Lavender last yesr, they were not very big when winter arrived and I thought they may die, they are still alive, I added a layer of gravel on the top of their pots and kept my fingers crossed. They are still small but still alive, will I need to give them a haircut in the spring? They are like a little mini bush  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Lavender haircut in spring??
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 19:13 »
No, trim them in early autumn  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 19:18 »
No, English lavenders prefer their haircuts after they have flowered in summer, but don't overdo it or you will finish up with an English skinhead (a dead one too if you cut below any little new green shoots on the woody stems, although that shouldn't be a problem with such a young plant.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 19:21 »
Aw thank you, the reason I said spring is because I had a unknown Lavender last year, very dead looking and sad, I guesssed there wasnt much to lose and skinned it in the spring, it came up trumps by the end of summer, so it was just my logic, shall leave them, till later then, thanks x

Spana

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 19:31 »
I've grown hundreds of lavenders from seed and have about 100 baby lavenders in the greenhouse now, sown last summer. Mine are still quite small but bushy. I go over them with the scissors when ever they look as if they need it while they are still small. I'll plant them out in the spring and after that  cut them after flowering.

Anything  cut off with the scissors that is a decent length i root as cuttings.

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 19:34 »
I was worried about trimming because there outside in all this bad weather, they are very tough  :)

Spana

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 20:01 »
I was worried about trimming because there outside in all this bad weather, they are very tough  :)

Uuuummm, i see. Looking at your location you would have harsher winters than we get here. Have they got any shelter at all, like from a wall . But if they have been outside all the time, think i would still keep them neat with the scissor treatment until they are out in the open ground,  then go over them with the shears after they flower this year.

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 21:38 »
Hi, yes bad winter but they still want to live, even the cordyline still wants to live  :D

xx
Pieris- haircut needed

Started by mobilekat on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 23, 2014, 10:50
by sunshineband
clip
Lavender

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post January 04, 2016, 23:43
by Johndeb
clip
Lavender

4 Replies
Last post June 18, 2020, 09:30
by New shoot
xx
Lavender

3 Replies
Last post November 01, 2016, 14:21
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 35 queries.