toms in grow bags

• 19 Replies

Sally A

toms in grow bags
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 16:20 »
Good shout Chris, and welcome.

That method works particlarly well if you have to water the toms in strong sunlight as you don't get splash back on the leaves, luckily my greenhouse is on the side of the house, so I just have to wait til the sun goes round the corner in the evening.

Also, if you're a bit wobbly at directing the water/feed, use the end of a plastic pop bottle as a funnel into the 2" tube.

Jaye

• Experienced Member
toms in grow bags
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 20:20 »
I did use the put the plants in pots and put in grobags method for tommie when i did them a couple of years ago. My main reasoning was to give the roots more depth. I put the grobags on the patio wall - they did well but grobags are sooooo ugly (I had 6, 3 with tommies, 2 with salad leaves and 1 with spring onions) that I really don't want to use them there again.

This year I am considering putting grobags in a tray and placing themon a counter in the leanto (which i am going to get hubby to build over the tumble drier). Then they will be south facing and behind glass - hopefully a little greenhouse type thing and less ugly than having them on the patio!

One thing I really did struggle with was supporting the tomato plants with canes in grobags. they just seemed really wobbly - like there wasn't enough depth to support them. I know you can get special cane supporting devices for grobags from garden shops - is that what I should be using?

Jaye

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Watering grow bags
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 20:29 »
Quote from: "WG."
Quote from: "Chris Haughton"
The gardening experts will no doubt advise on whether or not its wrong to deliver water straight to the roots - but in any case we ended up with a good crop.    :)

Welcome Chris.   We have an in-house expression coined by a presently-exiled member ... "Werks fer me" !! :D

Also ought to explain, he was not kicked out, it's a temporary - hopefully - self-exile!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Scribbler

toms in grow bags
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 12:32 »
That's really neat Shaun. I had probs with bags (watering and slugs) last year, but this looks good. Cheers. Soon be spring!
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
toms in grow bags
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 13:05 »
So Sean you aren't just a pretty face??? nice tip I have Onenote'd this.. cheers

xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
Grow bags for toms.

Started by Stree on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 23:08
by Stree
xx
Grow bags for toms, cucumbers and courgettes - peat in/not?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 13:42
by Kagganz
xx
Grow bags

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 29, 2007, 19:34
by purplebat

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 38 queries.